email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old tiscali email account login problems

andysilve
Participant
Message 20 of 20

Hi 

I've had an old Tiscali email account for years which I have used as a secondary account.I check it daily up until about 2 weeks ago when I started to get an invalid user name or password error message when trying to retrieve mail.Iknow the password is correct as it is saved on my pc and I have never changed it . I have no access to change my password as I need to log on to do it It would appear this is quite a regular occurrence from various help topics on here 

Any help much appreciated

Andy

19 REPLIES 19

Colin59
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 20

I have recieved an email which indicated 'rob' has made a post on 10/10/17, but I cannot see it.

Whatever, TalkTalk can if they wish give you access to your old email address. I had several discussions on the phone with them and they would tell me they couldn't access account, eventually a TalkTalk operative rang me one day to discuss it and reset the account and give me a new password. I am still a TalkTalk customer, I'm not sure if they extend this to ex customers.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20
Sorry I am new to this so if I' m doing things wrong, please let me know.

Message 3 of 20

I desperatly need help regarding my tiscali email address which I have had for several years, I am now getting a message saying that either my name or password is invalid the last time I received any mail was on the 25th July 2017.  Since then I have been on the phone to talk talk on may occations for an hour at a time but I have had no joy.  How can talk talk think its acceptable to just pull the plug on people and depriving them of important emails.   I hope someone  can help me resolve this problem.

Jill11
First Timer
Message 4 of 20

Hi

Can anyone help please, I have a tiscali email, but my provider is not talk talk.  Up until this week I have had no problem accessing my emails, but now I cant open them or do anything.  Help

Thanks

Jill

@andysilve wrote:

Hi 

I've had an old Tiscali email account for years which I have used as a secondary account.I check it daily up until about 2 weeks ago when I started to get an invalid user name or password error message when trying to retrieve mail.Iknow the password is correct as it is saved on my pc and I have never changed it . I have no access to change my password as I need to log on to do it It would appear this is quite a regular occurrence from various help topics on here 

Andy

@andysilve wrote:

Hi 

Andy

Message 5 of 20

Hi, I am not a customer of Tiscali/Talk Talk but need to access my old Tiscali email quite urgently - I am unable to log in as I get the 'invalid' message, is it possible for me to access my email?

Message 6 of 20

Please someone here correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. As my account (Tiscali) has been suspended to.

I get this feeling that:

1) talk talk are trying to knock old users off their systems.

2) they are using the unbelievable  and damn right scandalous excuse (bordering on liable) that these accounts have been used for spam (my account has never been used in the past 12 months to send any email).

3) talk talk are seeing how many people complain and grudgingly give them back access.

4) access is only given back after they give over sensitive information , and I quote:

I also need you to add your:

Date of Birth.

Phone number linked to email address.

Full postal address email is linked to.

Why do talk talk need this information I wonder, it's not to reinstate the tiscali account. My guess they want to harvest marketing info.

VERY POOR TALK TALK as ever like your service , that why most of us tiscali customers left in the 1st place.

Message 7 of 20

@Julie67 wrote:

I deleted my tiscali account like suggested but won't let me re_add it just say server not valid why is this happening all of a sudden first much husbands now mine 

@andysilve wrote:

Hi 

Andy

Strange thing, I had a very similar problem.  Calling the Help (???) desk twice proved useless - the gentleman in India first categorically refused to accept there was a problem, then asked me to do things which don't apply to Windows10.  I lost my cool and complained, copying Baroness Harding.  Strangely enough,a manager contacted me by email and phone and after a day said the technical people had found my account had been 'locked' but was now OK.  It is, more or less but when I asked why it had been locked she said she didn't know.

so, 'legacy' Tiscali accounts are seemingly being used to distribute large quantities of spam.  That's no reason to arbitrarily lock or block or close them, certainly not without explaining to the account holder.

As it happened after another problem with my Tiscali account ear,lied this year I'd opened a new TalkTalk email so when I was asked why I hadn't replied to enable sent to my Tiscali address was able to ask people to resend to my TalkTalk address.

Not at all satisfactory.  TalkTalk really should think "Customer care" and provide a more effective Help desk ... preferably English speaking and competent.  

Rant mode OFF. - for now

Julie67
First Timer
Message 8 of 20

I deleted my tiscali account like suggested but won't let me re_add it just say server not valid why is this happening all of a sudden first much husbands now mine 

@andysilve wrote:

Hi 

Andy

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

VERY WELL SAID, Tim Riley. 

Tried to give kudos, but can't see if it's logged.

Not happy to provide personal information that may be made public, especially when it's TalkTalk managing (sic) the security of that information. Absolutely WON'T provide DOB!! That's unnecessary when you have relevant TalkTalk main email address and landline number. Surely requiring unnecessary information is not in line with UK DPA?
0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Lol... If you'd  cared to take a look you will note that I DID start a thread!! Last FRIDAY, before the one you've replied to above.

See https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/My-Email/TalkTalk-Homecall-Email-Failure-via-Client-Access/td-p/...

I responded on this thread as I was hunting for more info / a solution and was shocked to see something that implied the problem arose directly as a result of action taken by TalkTalk that removed a service without any advance warning, notification once service cuspended, nor information posted on TalkTalk website nor social media. Hence I wanted to check my supposition. It appears from later responses that's correct. I can't see that such action is responsible, nor good customer service.

And I comlpetely agree with all the points raised Tim Riley.

Talk Talk have responsibilties to provide the services we pay for and there's MUCH that could be done by TalkTalk regarding improvements to security, and spam reduction. I certainly don't have faith in the public pronouncements of DH.

If there's a spam problem, there any any number of hardware and software solutions.

Removing customer email provision (and mine is flagged as the main account for TalkTalk bills etc) is NOT the only solution, and most certainly should NOT have been done at such a busy time of year, especially for those who do a lot of online shopping etc that increases email transactions. However, I supect that it was the cheapest solution.

A bit more timely, open and honest communication would go a long way.

Not happy to provide personal information that may be made public, especially when it's TalkTalk managing (sic) the security of that information. Absolutely WON'T provide DOB!! That's unnecessary when you have relevant TalkTalk main email address and landline number. Surely requiring unnecessary information is not in line with UK DPA?

Message 11 of 20

@AM7777 wrote:

Last response seems to imply that TT HAVE disabled older email accounts WITHOUT telling customers? Have I read that admission correctly?? Surely you have to notify us if you withdraw a service that's paid for?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/My-Email/Tiscali-email-password-not-valid/m-p/1846538/highlight/... states that

"thousands of accounts are being suspended weekly due to the amount of spam they send or as they've been compromised. We are forced to take this action to ensure that the rest of the customer base are able to use their accounts normally. If we didn't take this action TalkTalk's spam rating would drop rapidly leading to mail from the domain being bounced by many other mail providers."

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi AM7777, please start your own thread if you need help. In answer to your question the service hasn't been withdrawn. What has happened is that accounts that are causing problems for the rest of the customer base due to the amount of spam being sent are disabled. Once a customer contacts us we will reactivate the account with a new password.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 13 of 20

OCE_Andy, I've done as you suggested, and thank you for your advice on my thread that this is being looked into. While I note your point about spam being sent, as others have pointed out, when a telecommunications company takes over another company they take over the responsibilities of that company, including that company's existing email account infrastructure, including webmail, email servers and individual email accounts.

Moving email addresses is a big hassle for customers, many of whom (like me) are still with TalkTalk and have been using these accounts for years - it's not simply a question of being moved onto a new platform, but having to send loads of emails to contacts, and some will inevitably be missed. But worse than closing email accounts is doing so without informing customers first, and we haven't been informed of anything.

And is it definitely specifically the legacy accounts that are being used to send spam, rather than just the legacy SMTP servers? Because if it is the accounts sending spam then in that case the accounts have most likely been hacked, and again customers need to know about this. I am confident that none of my contacts have received spam from me from my homechoice.co.uk email address.

If, on the other hand, it is the legacy SMTP servers but not the accounts from which spam is being sent, then this is possible because SMTP authentication is not set up for smtp.homechoice.co.uk (Homechoice account server) or smtp.tiscali.co.uk (Tiscali account server). This means that anyone with access to a TalkTalk internet connection can send emails using these servers via Outlook etc., even from an email address that has nothing to do with TalkTalk or its legacy companies.

Solutions to this include:

- TalkTalk setting up (compulsory) SMTP authentication for smtp.homechoice.co.uk , smtp.tiscali.co.uk , etc., both when using a TalkTalk internet connection or other internet connections, using our existing username/password for our legacy account. Again customers would need to be told this is happening and how to enter these details into their email client, change to the relevant port numbers, etc. Would not affect webmail.

-TalkTalk allowing legacy accounts and their usernames and passwords to be used with the TalkTalk email servers (smtp.talktalk.net (which already requires compulsory SMTP authentication) ; mail.talktalk.net (POP-port 110) ; mail.talktalk.net (IMAP-port 143)), to send and receive emails with legacy accounts via Outlook etc, and closing the legacy email servers. Again customers would need to be told this is happening and how to enter the new details into their email clients. Webmail would be affected as it uses the legacy account servers, so it would also need to be moved onto the TalkTalk servers (but still allowing customers to log in using their legacy account username/password). As I believe that the TalkTalk servers have more space than the legacy account servers, this may also allow customers who currently use POP with their email client (to save space on the serves) to migrate to IMAP.

-Another advantage of either of these two options would be that legacy email account customers could now send emails on the move via a mobile email client (SMTP authentication is required for this). Currently this is not possible for legacy email account customers.

-For both of these options, it would still be useful if all legacy email accounts (including homechoice.co.uk ones) could be linked to the TalkTalk site, so we could check legacy email account webmail via that site. Although there is the option for this in My Account (TalkTalk), currently homechoice.co.uk (this is NOT the same as homecall.co.uk) is not one of the available options, and entering my Homechoice email account login details into the TalkTalk site redirects to the TalkTalk Business login page, as discussed on my other thread. Also having this option only available via My Account (rather than just done automatically for all legacy email accounts) is of no help to those users of legacy email accounts who are no longer with TalkTalk (to whom TalkTalk still has some responsibility as discussed).

I would be grateful if you could raise these points in the discussions you are having with others at TalkTalk about this. Communication to customers is of course key, whatever is decided. Thank you.

Message 14 of 20

Last response seems to imply that TT HAVE disabled older email accounts WITHOUT telling customers? Have I read that admission correctly?? Surely you have to notify us if you withdraw a service that's paid for?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi Tim Riley, please start your own thread and add the necessary information to your profile. Just to clear up the reason these accounts are being disabled is due to the fact that they're creating huge amounts of spam. We have to disable the accounts to make sure that the reset of the customers don't get blocked by other email providers due to TalkTalk reputation being reduced by the spam.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi andysilve, I've raised the fault ticket for you. You'll get updates by text message and you should get a call with your new password.

0 Likes

Tim Riley
Participant
Message 17 of 20

This is happening too with my Homechoice account webmail (see my other post about this). It seems like TalkTalk has decided to cut off access to legacy account webmail without telling us. As you say, logging in to the TalkTalk account won't help because the Tiscali/Homechoice passwords are not stored there.

So someone at TalkTalk needs to restore access to our webmail, as they have obviously been messing with it. I don't want to have to change my password anyway, and I shouldn't have to, when http://mail.homechoice.co.uk worked for years and now doesn't let me in.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

I've suplied all the personal info you've asked for .I am a current talktalk customer but the old tiscali email address was never registered in My Account so I can't reset the password that way .Out of interest why has Talktalk decided to cut off all these email addresses as it seems obvious that is what they have done? Nobody has changed there password themselves it must have been done by the supplier ?

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 20

Hi Andy, if you're still a customer you can change the password via MyAccount. If you're no longer a customer then I can raise a fault ticket for you.

Please update your community profile to include your full name, landline and mobile number, so that I can pass your details over to the Networks team.

I also need you to add your:

Date of Birth.

Phone number linked to email address.

Full postal address email is linked to.

To add your details you click on MY SETTINGS above the thread in blue then choose PERSONAL INFORMATION after adding your details add the email address/es in the private section and click save changes at the bottom of the page.

0 Likes