cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Tiscali recovery email hacked

Sazpeas36
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

Tiscali email wanted password this morning. Password not accepted. Couldn't log into talktalk, password not recognised, couldn't receive link because recovery email address is not mine. They tried to send sms link but im assuming they've changed my phone number too as not received. Spent 45 mins on chat to be told technical depo cant be helped because tiscali mail.They tried to send sms link but im assuming they've changed my phone number too as not received. Anybody help? Its my primary email. Thanks

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

MyAccount does not refer to your email account it refers to the customer broadband billing account. So yes, follow the instructions given in the link and set up your telephone enquiry password on your current contract with TalkTalk.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Sazpeas36
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 19

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for the message.

There seems to be some confusion possibly me not explaining clearly.

I cannot access my account.

I log in with my username and select forgotten password.

I can only select my tiscali email, which is not accepting my password to receive emails or the recovery email, recovery email is not my email address, it a been changed from my recovery yahoo email address to a prateer.com, which I have never held. 

I am unsure what information I can actually give to verify myself as my tiscali email was set up over 10 yrs ago and I have been on and off with tiscali/talktalk throughout this period. Do I need to set up a telephone password enquiry on my current contract with talktalk for this to be verified? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Pardon for interjecting but I gave you the guide to setting up a telephone password in your customer MyAccount here.

Nobody is authorised to set up your email password recovery or send recovery links if you're not first positively identified as the registered email owner. So that is exactly what Ady is trying to help you with.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Hi Ady, I cannot set up the telelephone enquiry password for my email if I have to log into my mail account to do it as I cannot get in,  Or am I not understanding? Should I be setting it up for my broadband account do it can be linked? I was on a call for half an hour 2 days ago and was told it was being escalated so I would receive a link to my mobile and new recovery email I gave. I have not received either. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Have you setup the telephone enquiry password? If you have we can try security again. Without it I can't help as you.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Sazpeas36
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 19

I feel I am still getting nowhere, 21st Aug i called talktalk, informed my issue would be escalated, that I would receive a link within 24 hours to my actual mobile number as there was no option for it to be added when trying to log into my email account and also a link sent to my requested new email address (which is my broadband account email) and not the hacked recovery email that I can see when trying to reset. I am losing the will to live and am unable to gain access to important emails im waiting for. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

As Gondola says I'm able to help. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 8 of 19

The guide for setting up a telephone enquiry password is here: Setting up your telephone password

Customers are not currently able to add their own existing mailboxes to the mailbox list in new broadband customer MyAccounts.

Ady will need to assist in linking the tiscali mailbox to your current broadband MyAccount once your personal data has been verified and that also confirms that you are the registered owner of the tiscali email address.

0 Likes

Sazpeas36
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 19

How do I set up the telephone enquiry password?

This email address was set up when I first joined tiscali, then I joined another provider, I have come back as a talktalk customer several times and managed to keep this email but have not been able to link it this time to my broadband account. 

Message 10 of 19

Hi Sazpeas36, unfortunately some of the information doesn't match the information we hold on system.  It would be best if you could setup the telephone enquiry password so that we can retry. 

Ady

Message 11 of 19

When Ady has verified that you are the registered owner of the email address the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey.

If verified on Friday try on Tuesday.

0 Likes

Sazpeas36
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 19

Hi, I am still waiting for any action on my email due to hacked recovery email and phone number. Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi Sazpeas36, I've sent you a personal message to obtain more information. 

Ady

Sazpeas36
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 19

Please can you let me know how long it will be before contact is made, still waiting. Thanks

Message 15 of 19

OK, the two top tips are:

1. Scan all your email devices to ensure none are carrying password capturing virus, trojan or other malware and Keep antivirus and anti malware software up to date and active.
  2. Make sure when you do change passwords that each password is unique, never used elsewhere, never shared and is very strong. I recommend the technique of using three short memorable words using multicase letters, added in numbers and a symbol so the total length is at least 12-15 characters. e.g Peas@9Red3Flour, just as an example, that would take a computer a trillion years to guess. In comparison, shorten that to the first 8 characters and a computer cracker would take just 8 hours to guess that shorter password.

Message 16 of 19

It has happened overnight, I have received a number of emails yesterday telling me my various sites have had password changes. My last email received was around 9pm last night and this morning it asked for password to see emails. Then I tried to reset and saw recovery email is not mine. 

Sazpeas36
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

Thankyou that would be great 

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available because the mailbox password was compromised. Do you know how that happened?

A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Private Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. Also requested will be the alternate email address and mobile number for password recovery Reset details.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password.

Use the new password to access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages. Hackers set up or modify Filter rules to spy on your emails.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.