cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Transfer email address for bereaved customer

navstuff
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 3

My father recently died and I have been transferring over the account to my stepmother. Only problem is she cannot take the old email address with her. However, I note that if someone changes providers they can pay an amount to still access emails for a fee. 
Why can't this be done in the case of my stepmother. Is it because she is staying with TalkTalk?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 3

Hi @navstuff 

I am so sorry for your loss.

I'll explain about email addresses and why these cannot be transferred with the ownership of a broadband service account. The UK's Data Protection regulations apply here. Nobody can legally inherit the use of an email address registered to and used by a person that's passed on. Not even a spouse or executor of an estate can legally take over the use of another person's email address / mailbox.

Is there any other aspect that we can help you with here? The TalkTalk Bereavement team will help your step mother with any other transfer issues.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

If the email address was set up in your father's name (though husband and wife teams often do share) it can only be accessed now by the original user.

Contact the bereavement team for further support, @navstuff.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-bereavement-team/ta-p/2205169

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.