cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Why do I only have 6 weeks of emails on the server

zippy1148
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

I have all settings on my email clients set to not delete emails. My storage quota on the talktalk app shows just 297MB of 10 GB used, so there is space. However, I can only see emails going back 6 weeks and can find no other setting to change or see why older ones are not there to access. It has been happening for a few years and is annoying.

My phone is set to IMAP connections and my PC POP3 but 'Never delete from the server' .

I have tested downloading and opening emails on the PC, and they remain on the talktalk sever and are also still accessible from my phone. So it does not appear having POP on the PC is removing them from the server. I want to keep POP 3 so all emails are saved there for me for years to come.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

The TalkTalk system by default does not delete old or dated Inbox content. The deletion has been happening for a few years which indicates some external rather than system activity has been going on for a few years. Have you upgraded the mailbox password in that time?

Troubleshoot by changing the mailbox password. That will lock out unauthorised activity. Which leaves only devices under your control to gradually reauthenticate for mailbox connection one by one.

Start by just using webmail for a week to make sure that the Inbox can retain more than 6 weeks of mail messages. Then when you're sure that older Inbox content is not being deleted you can authenticate the password on your 'phone. Bear in mind that the 'phone app may not be storing all emails due to capacity issues but ought to be able to sync to all Inbox content. Then after testing the 'phone, reauthenticate the PC. You've not said what the PC Operating system is nor what the mail app name and version is. Useful to know to be able to focus on actual software and features in use.

If you are using Outlook then Archiving and consequential Inbox deletion by that product can be disabled.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

zippy1148
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 4

Hi again @Gondola 

I do not delete any from the inbox, so auto should not be doing it. I also do not archive.

My POP 3 account does hold and store everything, as I want it to. The issue is most emails are initially read on my phone, and if working away and I want to find an email older than a few months there is nothing on my mail app, or on the talktalk webmail page. (I have to wait until I get home to search the POP account)

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

TalkTalk Mail auto deletes mail older than 30 days in the Trash and Spam folders. No system deletion from any other folder.

Archive moves selected mail older than 90 days to year by year Archive sub folders.

Your POP3 account should be holding all your mail messages.

The Auto Archive feature of Outlook may be set to 60 days. Deletion may be set. This would override the POP3 command to download and not delete from the server.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes