cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

missing emails

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 77 of 77

I had a sub-folder in my inbox in which I keep (in separate folders) all the emails I want to keep, but not visible in the main inbox.  There was a down-arrow next to my email address which I used to access this sub-folder.  Now my main email address is not displayed and so I have no way of accessing all my emails in these folders.  As these emails are important, can someone tell me how I can access them?

Peter

Peter
0 Likes
76 REPLIES 76

Message 21 of 77

Just observing that we don't see reports here that might give rise to a conclusion that there was a design flaw in the migration process.  Not to say that 'lost or missing' email reports don't ever happen.  Because there is no formal backup service offered it's always been the advice to make your own backups of important mail messages.

Seek guidance from your legal advisor. If there is a criminal case to answer then the investigating authorities can seek evidence from your recipient(s).

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 77

I received no prior warning that emails in folders would not be migrated.

My emails were lost during "handling" so the "normal operational resilience" or the “rolling backup of the mail servers” referred to must be at fault.

The missing emails contain some which are of a sensitive nature, including one which contained evidence that may lead to a solicitor being accused of theft!  It is, therefore, impossible to ask for copies of such correspondence; also included are some sent emails which cannot be obtained for the same reasons.

I can’t be the only customer affected!

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 23 of 77

Just to say that TalkTalk have never offered any backup service to recover 'lost' messages. It's always been the case that customers need to back up their important mail messages onto at least two of their own devices or services.

There will have been a rolling backup for the mail servers to ensure that messages weren't lost during transfers of messages from one mailbox store to another. This isn't an archive store just the normal operational resilience to ensure messages aren't lost in handling.

Given that nothing has been found via the rolling backup system, can you obtain copies of previously received messages from the original senders?

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 77

Ady,

Thank you for your message and for pursuing this for so long.  I can't say I am not disappointed with the result.  I only kept the emails on the email server as I asssumed they would be secure, and backed-up periodically, so they could be retrieved at a later date. 

All the email folders were part of my inbox so I have to conclude the "changeover" to the new system contained some bugs which were not addressed before the changeover. 

Some of my "lost" emails were important and irreplaceable, so I am at a loss as to what to do now!

Can I presume the OX support team have had a comprehensive search of the archive email server?

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 25 of 77

Hi PeterRolison, the OX support team have now confirmed that they cannot recover the mail that was lost. I'm sorry we've not been able to get you the right result. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 77

I've had a reply and OX have advised that the mail folders I've sent to you in a personal message are showing against your mailbox. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 77

I'm afraid there's no update yet. I've escalated to the manager of the faults team.

Ady

0 Likes

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 77

Ady,

Can you PLEASE let me know progress in this matter.  I am getting pretty desperate to get these emails back.

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 29 of 77

I'm afraid there's been no update on the ticket yet. I'll check back later. 

Ady

0 Likes

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 77

Thanks, Ady.

Good to know I haven't been forgotten!

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 31 of 77

Hi Peter, I've had to open a new ticket for you. I'll keep tabs on it and let you have updates daily. 

Ady

0 Likes

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 77

Ady,

It's been another fortnight and still no response.  Things are getting pretty desperate now and I do need these emails as soon as possible.

Can you let me know what progress has been made, and preferably how much longer it will take to resolve.

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 33 of 77

Hi Peter, I'm sending details over again to be investigated. I'm sorry for the delay in getting this sorted for you. 

Ady

0 Likes

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 77

Ady,

You chased this a fortnight ago, but since then I have heard nothing.

It is now starting to get important.  Two folders in particular: Solicitors and Mum, contain evidence given to or intended for the solicitor and legal documents relating to the house.

Surely these, and the other folders must be on a Server somewhere, or a back-up or archive Server.

Can you chase and stress the importance, please.

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 35 of 77

Hi Peter, I've had nothing back. I'll chase this again for you. 

Ady

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 77

I'll re-escalate this thread, @PeterRolison.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 77

Ady,

The Team has had this for three weeks now.  Do you know if they have made any progress, only I am starting to need access.

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 38 of 77

I do hope so. 

Ady

0 Likes

PeterRolison
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 77

Thanks, Ady,

Hope they can sort it.

Peter

Peter
0 Likes

Message 40 of 77

I've passed the information over to the team to take a look and see if we can help. 

Ady