cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Broadband speed significantly decreased

brokenboiler
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 32

When I first upgraded to Fibre150 my download speed was consistently around 130Mbps for a year or so. Then it dropped to about 90Mbps which turned out to be a fault on the line. This was fixed and the speed went back up to 130 Mbps. But over the last few months the speed has dropped to around the 111Mbps mark. Although this still falls within the guaranteed minimum of 110 it seems strange that the speed has dropped by that much. I did run a connection test from TalkTalk's website a few weeks ago and it suggested there was a fault, but subsequently when running the test again recently it insists that everything is fine. Nothing has changed so far as location of modem (or other equipment nearby) and no new gadgets/devices have been connected to the WIFi. 

So why has my speed reduced? I've tried using different channels on the Router but it makes very little difference.

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 21 of 32

Hi

I'll send a router out so this is ruled out.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 32

I don't have another router to try, but if you are suggesting sending me a replacement I have no objection. The only thing is, the tests suggest that it is the speed to the router that is slow so I don't see how changing the router will help.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 32

Hi

would you like to try another router to see if that performs differently ?

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 32

There are no noises on the voice service. The only change I've made since the engineer fixed the last fault was to try changing channels to see if that helped. It didn't help, and since then I did a factory reset a couple of days ago.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 32

Morning,

Thanks for your post. I've run a test on the line now which is clear, however I can see that the sync speed is varying slightly. Is there any noise on the voice service? Has the set up changed at all since this was set up by the engineer?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 32

Ah OK so forget my original plan, I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk has responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 27 of 32

The router is a Fast 5364, (sagem)

0 Likes

Message 28 of 32

I am using the 5Ghz band, I changed the I'd so I knew which I was connecting to.

Also, from the info I gleaned from the talktalk diagnostics site it referred to the speed to the router, which as I said is around 111 ish.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 32

Then all you can do is go with the information you already found out, that the speed to the ONT is fine & the problem area is from there to your devices, via your router.

You said that it did not make any difference which WiFi channel you tried, but have you examined the levels of Wi-Fi interference on your own network? If you are connecting via the 2.4GHz band then there is a fair chance that the channels on this band are too congested to get the best speeds that your WiFi hardware can deliver. In that case, you might have to consider using only the 5GHz band, but not all your devices may support this newer band. 

The most important thing at the moment is not to throw money at a situation unless you have proved what the problem is. This is where I can normally help TalkTalk customers for free.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 32

I don't have a device with an ethernet  port.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 32

If you disconnect the router from the ONT & connect a PC or laptop in place of it, via an Ethernet cable, what speed do you get when doing a speed test from this site:-

https://www.supportal-test.co.uk/ 

Keith

0 Likes