cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Broadband speed significantly decreased

brokenboiler
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 32

When I first upgraded to Fibre150 my download speed was consistently around 130Mbps for a year or so. Then it dropped to about 90Mbps which turned out to be a fault on the line. This was fixed and the speed went back up to 130 Mbps. But over the last few months the speed has dropped to around the 111Mbps mark. Although this still falls within the guaranteed minimum of 110 it seems strange that the speed has dropped by that much. I did run a connection test from TalkTalk's website a few weeks ago and it suggested there was a fault, but subsequently when running the test again recently it insists that everything is fine. Nothing has changed so far as location of modem (or other equipment nearby) and no new gadgets/devices have been connected to the WIFi. 

So why has my speed reduced? I've tried using different channels on the Router but it makes very little difference.

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Hi brokenboiler

Apologies for this.

I've checked and I can see from the Openreach engineers notes that a fault was located when the fault was first raised (underground fault) so I have credited back the engineer charge. This should show in My Account within the next few hours.

Thanks

Message 2 of 32

The bill cannot be updated, but any changes made now will show on the next one. 

Check meantime in Transaction History in case it's been credited.

Or post in the billing section, @brokenboiler.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 3 of 32

Hi Chris,

I've just received my latest bill which includes charges for an engineer visit. As I understand it I would have been charged for an engineer visit if the problem was found to be my fault. There were two visits from engineers, the first one determined there was a fault between my house and a distribution point but was unable to fix it as the problem was buried under ground. A day or two later when I checked the fault status was changed to 'closed' even though I was still experiencing slow speeds. So another engineer visit was arranged, this time the engineer did some diagnostics and made some changes and the speed was restored to an acceptable level. 

The upshot of this is that as far as I am concerned there was a problem with my line which the engineer fixed and therefore I am not liable for the cost of an engineer visit.

Can you remove the charge and issue me with an updated bill.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 32

I've booked the engineer for October 17 2023, PM as requested. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 32

Tuesday P.M (17 Oct) would be ideal, is that possible?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 32

We can generally get an appointment next working day or the working day after so are you available tomorrow and Monday?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 32

Yes, I accept potential charges. I am flexible in terms of availability, let me know when and I will be available!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 32

Hi brokenboiler,

Apologies for the delay, could you just confirm that you accept potential engineer charges and let us know when you can be available for the visit and I'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 32

I replied to the private message but have heard nothing since, so I am still awaiting an engineer visit to be arranged, any new on this matter?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 32

Hi brokenboiler

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 32

Yes please.

Message 12 of 32

Morning,

I've run a test on the line which is clear. If the set up hasn't changed then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this?

Thanks

Michelle

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 32

Re-escalating this for you, @brokenboiler.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

HI, I've now returned home and having run a speed test a number of times on different hardware in different locations in my house I am still not getting the download speed I am paying for. Currently the speed is around 102 Mbps, a long way short of the 130+ Mbps I was getting a few months ago.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 32
0 Likes

Message 16 of 32

Yeah, I'll test it out and report back when I return next month.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 32

Hi brokenboiler,

DLM is changing your profile so could we see how it goes over the weekend to see if the speed improves

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 32

The new router arrived sooner than expected so I was able to test it before I have to go away. Unfortunately it hasn't improved the situation. In fact the speed has dropped slightly down to around 100-103 Mbps according to OOKLA. When I tried a TALKTALK's speed test it said it ran into a problem and they are working to resolve it, tried it several times with the same result.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 32

Morning,

No problem. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 20 of 32

Ok, thanks Karl. Unfortunately I won't be able to check it for a few weeks as I have to go away and my wife isn't confident of carrying out the necessary. So I'll get back to you on my return at the beginning of October.

0 Likes