cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Changing the WiFi password on Talk Talk Hub Vers FAST 5634-4 T8

Figgis
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

I logged in to the WiFi Hub and changed the WiFi password in the WiFi settings. I then saved the change and exited the screen. I logged back in to ensure the change had taken effect. I was pleased to see it had. I then proceeded to browse but quickly realised I had no internet connection.  I tried troubleshooting but nothing worked. I remembered the Ethernet cable and that connected me. I  searched for the problem and discovered in Network & Internet, in View WiFi Security Key was still showing the old WiFi password.

I have looked at the Advanced WiFi Network Properties and the Edit feature and wonder if I also have to edit the password here. I don't relish that as the screen size and text is tiny like many Windows 11 important pop-up screens.

Can you remove a lost or mislaid device from the network that is not in use but may be in use in the future?
What is the Guest connection and how does it work?

Please confirm the correct process for changing the WIFi password.

Figgis
0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 15

I have updated my guide on this, I will send it to you via a PM.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 15

Hi @Figgis 

I know I didn't mention to forget the old network. I assumed it was obvious, that if you have just changed the password on the router, you would need to connect to the WiFi again using your new password.

That password is stored within a WiFi profile associated with the SSID (network name) within the device (PC, laptop tablet, phone etc), as it is the device that has to connect to the WiFi, rather than the WiFi connecting to the device.

The guide is still in draft, which I have done just for you, however, once finalised it will be in my unofficial manual for the router.

TalkTalk does provide information on how to do this:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-do-I-view-or-change-my-Wi-Fi-name-and-password/ta-p... 

It is only me that produces in depth guides on their products.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 4 of 15

@KeithFrench

Thank you for preparing the guide. 

You did not mention FORGET before now.  Was that the reason the other attempts did not succeed?

What is 'within the device' ?  Do you have a print screen of that action?

Is there a difference in changing the password when connected via WiFi and doing it when connected by Ethernet?

Figgis
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 15

Hi @Figgis 

I have just proved exactly how to do this. If you follow my attached guide that I have just written, this works 100% every time.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 15

It does work, did you try the method I suggested in my previous post?

The easiest way though will always be via an Ethernet-connected device.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

What I now want is a way of changing the WiFi passwords for both channels that actually works..

Perhaps @Chris-TalkTalk could find out the correct way to do it. My Router type is in the question title.

Figgis
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 15

If you want an easy life of this, use a wired (Ethernet) connected device to change both passwords. If you only have wireless devices, what you need to do, is if a device is connected to say the 2.4GHz band, change the WiFi password for the 5GHz. Then using a device connected to the 5GHz band, change the password of the 2.4GHz band. 

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

I received a list of my devices from TT and devices that are not in use are on there and quoted when they are niggling me about bandwidth. If I look in TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub, My Devices, only the connected devices are listed.

Changing the WI Fi password is more difficult than it seems. Starting from Wireless connections, Band 1 and Band 2.  I selected Advanced Settings, then Basic, then moved down to the Security Section where I can enter the new password twice.  I did that for Band 1 and Band 2 separately and lost the wireless connection again. So, once more I have been unable to change the WIFI password successfully. I'm either doing something wrong or there is an additional step in the process. I have changed it back to the original again.

Figgis
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 15

The router only shows devices currently connected. If they are not there, then there is nothing to delete. The best way to block unwanted devices is always to change your WiFi password & make it longer & stronger than the default one.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi Figgis,

Line test is picking up a potential problem, is your connection still dropping?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Thanks for replying. I will change the passwords tomorrow.

You say not to worry about the Guest Networks but there was a Guest connection shown yesterday and I thought it was because the TT engineer had checked my system. I wanted to change the login and also because an old mislaid device was still showing as connected. As I can't find the device I can't remove it from the setup.

I have had 9 months trouble free browsing and streaming since I was sent a new router last Summer. The run of luck ran out last week when the connection kept dropping and was getting more difficult to get working. I reported the fault and received hints about the amount of bandwidth I was using and a bar chart for the past week. I think my connection was throttled, if that happens on an unlimited Fibre 65 contract. I was busy trying to watch as much Now TV FBI dramas as possible before my 6 month membership ran out. Also, there is rarely any good new drama on Freeview. The TT engineer could not find a fault yesterday and thought the Openreach engineer should check the external control panel. TT fault report centre told me there was an outage in the area. I don't think that was the case because I was able to connect with the Ethernet cable.

Figgis
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 15

Hi Figgis,

I can see that Keith has answered your question, just let us know if you need any further assitance

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

This is best done from the Advanced Settings, but it has to be done twice, once for each WiFi band. To do this for the 2.4GHz band, go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz gear icon > Basic

Then for the 5GHz band:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Don't bother with the Guest networks, they do not operate correctly in the current firmware version (V174).

Keith