cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Connection Dropping Out

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 24

Hello,

For about a week now my connection has been dropping out, at first it was a few times a day and I only noticed it on the WiFi-connected PC I was working on furthest away from the router - now it's got really bad, it's happening multiple times an hour and affecting everything including our phones and ethernet-connected TV etc, the connection is basically unusable today.

The connection uptime shown in the router admin panel is unaffected, nothing in the logs indicates that there was actually an internet disconnection.

Today I've tried connecting the router to the test socket but that didn't make any difference. My dial tone sounds fine. For some reason the TalkTalk line test tool just keeps telling me this: "Oops, looks like something went wrong. We're currently struggling to fetch the relevant information due to technical difficulties".

It got so bad dropping out every few minutes this afternoon that I found an old HG633 router and tried plugging that in instead of the Sagemcom hub; for a few hours it seemed to help but I think it was a coincidence as it has dropped out exactly the same way again 3 times in the last hour.

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Good morning,

Thanks for the update. If you don't hear anymore by today then please let us know and we can request an update for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 24

Thank you Chris. You were quite right there is an ongoing issue in my area, it's a bad circuit board in the street cabinet and the engineer confirmed that I am one of around 64 customers attached to that board. Sounds like they are not quite sure what the exact cause of the problem is and have been trying to fix it for a while but that it should get resolved eventually. The good news for now is I've only had 1 disconnection since yesterday morning, so perhaps it's improving. If it does get worse again or remains unresolved for a long time is that open issue something you have visibility on to ask if there are any updates?

Edit: 9 dropouts on Saturday, 7 so far on Sunday, so it is still ongoing, but at least I know they are working on it and seems that's all we can do for the moment, thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

I've booked the first available afternoon appointment - April 26 2024, PM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 4 of 24

OK, I'll book the engineer now and get back to you with the details

Chris

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 24

Hi Chris,

They've been gone for a while and I can already tell it's still happening. The full disconnection incident this morning was likely coincidental. It has disconnected/reconnected about 8 times this afternoon - most recently at 2:03pm and 2:05pm. I will continue to monitor it but please can you go ahead & book the appointment. Thank you.

Edit: 9 times - just happened again at 2:34. Definitely still happening!

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Yes, I think it's part or an incident affecting a number of customers. Could you monitor the connection for 24 hours and if the issue persists we can try booking the engineer again (but I'm pretty sure that it's already under investigation - I think that may be why the line test isn't completing)

Chris

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 24

The internet was completely down for me and at least 2 other flats this morning and I unplugged the router for 30 minutes. It's back up and running now and line sounds fine. There are OpenReach engineers currently working in the cabinet outside so that's likely something to do with it.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Line test still isn't completing. Could I just ask, are you currently experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Sorry, not booked it yet, I need to run a line test before I can book the engineer as I need to enter the line test reference number on the engineer booking form, but unfortunately due to a system issue the line test won't complete. I've tried a couple of times and will try again now

Chris

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 24

Thank you. This actually seems to be affecting neighbouring flats as well - having tried connecting to two WiFi networks at the same time yesterday they both cut out at the same time. Mine cut out and didn't come back on at one point yesterday I had to switch router off for 20 minutes. This morning we have no connection at all. As soon as possible would be good for the engineer booking. Is it booked yet?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

OK I'll book the engineer now and get back to you with the details

Chris

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 24

Ok I understand about potential charges, please arrange, thank you.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi cotmire

I will arrange the engineer visit. Can you also confirm potential engineer charges

Engineer charges

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 24

Hi Debbie,

It was at the test socket but I've moved it back now as it makes no difference either way, I've tried both ways with all 3 routers at this point. Maybe the problem is the socket itself.

Can I have an afternoon engineer visit? Any day is fine.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Hi cotmire

I've completed another line test and this is clear - No faults detected.

I can see re connections on the line. Is the new router currently connected at the test socket?

The next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 24

Yes it is happening with wired devices too.

I plugged the HG633 back in as it had seemed a bit better but have actually been getting the same issue - the only difference is with that router my devices keep the WiFi connection but still lose the internet connectivity for a minute (vs a complete disconnect/reconnect with the Sagemcom). Regardless of router or 2.4ghz/5ghz/ethernet/device type the issue is there. The connection uptime stat does not reset though. When I use the Sagemcom routers it always shows a downstream noise margin of 0dB which I gather isn't good (the HG633 shows 6.7 though?).

I just tried to run a line test through the TalkTalk support page and it said:

"We need to investigate further.
Our diagnostic tool picked up on a potential issue but to help us understand what’s going on you’ll need to run a more in depth line test."

It said it would take 5 minutes and I can only run it once every 5 days, but when I tried to it just said "We've run into a problem. Sorry, we're working hard to resolve this issue. Please try again later."

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hi cotmire

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line tests are clear. Are wired devices also losing connection?

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 24

Hi Debbie,

I had one of the dropouts again this evening so I've plugged in the new router using the new filter and cables directly into the test socket, but unfortunately it's happened 3-4 more times already over the first 3 hour period (but no more in the following 3 hours - it's very random!).

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi Debbie yes thank you it arrived this afternoon. The connection has been better past 48hrs with the old model, will set this new one up and let you know how it goes.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24
0 Likes