cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 150 (G-Fast Modem) & Number of devices

kwilsaint
Team Player
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Hello...

I've been with TalkTalk many years and in general have been happy with the service.

Since November 2023, I took out a new contract: Fibre 150 (with G-Fast Modem)

There were problems with unacceptable speeds from the outset. Basically, I wasn't even getting the contract-legal minumum: 110Mbps. Best I could get was 105.

Eventually, after much discussion with South African representatives (!!) and engineer visits, an acceptable agreement was reached on contract price/month for this performance reduction.

Speeds have generally been around 100-105 ever since but, as I've said, I reluctantly had agreed that was acceptable.

Now, about a week or so ago, there was an uncharacteristic outage on my line possibly I suppose in the general metropolitan area.

My router displayed a 'solid amber' light, so no internet connection. This has never happened before.

The outage lasted for an hour or so then everything returned to 'normal', though speeds did start to become occasionally erratic at times, but eventually settled down.

By chance next day or so, I happened to notice 'blinking' on my router early morning, indicating I assumed TalkTalk were updating something overnight as they do. So much for needing a drink of water at 3am!!

Please note: no 'other' blinking is ever in evidence at any other time that might indicate something else 'untoward' is happening! I use the 'Wireless Network Watcher' software to keep an eye on my wifi and ensure no one else is piggy-backing!

Now, I've changed channels a number of times for speed reasons, but after the outage I noticed something 'odd' about the number of devices connected to my computer when I was doing this.

Normally I only ever have ONE device in operation at any one time: my desktop computer. The only other device I use on occasion is my Smart TV which, after use, I always 'disable'.

My desktop computer has an installed Edimax wifi adapter, fully updated.

Previously, when I changed channels to 'improve' speed, I'm almost certain on the 'channel change' settings window only ONE device was showing.

Now, however, after the outage, there are TWO.

Using an IP scanner, I've found these two IP addresses: one for the computer, the other for the Edimax adapter.

If anything, I would've thought the 'G-Fast Modem' might be showing since it's the only 'other' device attached to my TalkTalk Sagemcom router.

The Edimax, remember, is installed in the computer itself, so if the computer's IP address is showing, as you would expect, then why should the Edimax also 'need to show'?

I may be totally wrong here, or somehow missing something, but can someone let me know if the above 'two devices showing' is to be expected or is this maybe a 'result' of the outage or  TalkTalk's 'updating' or indeed indicating a problem with my Sagemcom router or 'G-Fast Modem'?

Many thanks

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 13

You do have to choose a suitable icon & there is one "Network Access Point".

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 13

Hi Keith....thanks for the suggestion. I'd forgotten you could do that....

However, when tried, I could change 'Friendly Name' alright but as for the 'question mark' icon change: no selection offered for 'WiFi Adapter' but plenty of others....Not a big deal but a pity.....😀

Thanks just the same.....

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

In the router, if you go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings

If you click on the device in question, you can change the icon for this device from "?" to whatever it is. You should be able to identify which device this is by the MAC address quoted in there. Then you can allocate it a friendly device name, to make it easier to identify any time you log into the router in the future.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 4 of 13

Hi Chris.....thanks for the reply.

As requested - a screenshot I've named 'Devices'

First one is my computer, the second my wifi adapter.

Screenshot was obtained by opening up the process of 'changing channels'.

The following page of that process simply shows the same + separate IP addresses.

Hope this is of use.....

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi kwilsaint,

Keith can see your description of the issue in your first post as can anyone else reading this thread so he wouldn't need to be sent a copy of the issue (if that's what you mean)

Regarding Keith's request of a screenshot, he's asking for a screenshot of what you see when you can see the PC and the network card listed separately, if that makes sense, not a photograph of your PC - could you provide this please

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

kwilsaint
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 13

Thanks Keith...I did appreciate that but assumed, since Michelle asked you to help in the first place,  then she must've informed you of the problem at hand and, consequently may have thought you might be able to supply some reason for or answer to it.

Probably best, then,  to pass things back to either Michelle or some other OCE or member for a 'solution', but thanks again for your time.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 13

Hi @kwilsaint 

You might like to redo your last post, based on the fact that I do not work for TalkTalk at all. Therefore I cannot do anything like test your line or have any other remote access to customer's routers etc. If you read my signature I am a customer of theirs like yourself.

Keith

0 Likes

kwilsaint
Team Player
Private Message
Message 8 of 13

Thanks Michelle & Keith for taking time to respond.

However, based on his responses, I get the feeling Keith wasn't given a copy of the message I sent. Yes/No?

He ran a line test which I guess Michelle could easily have done herself without asking Keith to do it.

Nevertheless, line was clear and showed only one re-connection: almost certainly down to the outage I spoke of. This again makes me wonder if Keith is fully aware of the point raised.

To repeat: APART FROM THE OUTAGE, I've had NO other recent instability in my line, so why imply that there was instability?

The point I raised was about the 'sudden' emergence of  TWO devices when only one showed BEFORE the outage. I simply wanted clarity on that.

For Keith: one of your replies asked me for a screenshot of the devices: I fail to see how that would help answer the above Keith, since you're asking for screenshots of a tower desktop+ wifi antenna sticking out at the back! 😀

Again, this  makes me think you didn't get a copy of my original message or didn't, for whatever reason, grasp what I was on about.

At anyrate, I appreciate your input Keith and trust my query might still be answered as soon as possible.

Many thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

Thanks @Michelle-TalkTalk I will wait for the customer to reply now.

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 13

Hi kwilsaint,

I've run a test on the line now which is clear and I can see only 1 re-connection on the line.

Thanks @KeithFrench

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Hi @kwilsaint 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. Please can you provide with screenshots of these devices? From your description though of the light on the router going amber, your line would seem to be unstable.

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk have you checked this router for an unstable connection?

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Morning,

Would you be able to offer any advice on this please @KeithFrench 

Michelle

0 Likes