cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 250 - Sub 150 Speed

Fodderdude
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 30

Hi.

I have moved from Sky Ultrafast FTTC which provided average speeds of 150Mbps.

We signed up for Fibre 250 over the phone and told that the maximum speed the line can support is 327Mbps, average download speeds of 237 and a minimum guaranteed speed of 212Mbps.

I have spoken to cancellations team who have advised that I definitely should be getting speeds more than we are getting which is 142Mbps when I plug ethernet directly into the router or modem.

I have having difficulty getting technical support to understand this.

Is there anyone that can assist with this?

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

You do have an open complaint so a complaint manager will contact you to discuss your complaint. Regarding the speed unfortunately there isn't really much that I can do as the engineers are saying your speed is within the predicted range and therefore there isn't a fault.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 30

Not that I am aware of.

I only received an automated response from that email.

Not even sure if I have a complaint manager.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 30

OK thanks. Has your complaint manager arranged to call you back to discuss the issue further?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 30

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk .

He said that there was no reason why the speeds are so much slower than the line is capable off.

He did say that because the speeds are within the incorrect speeds that technical support are giving there wasn't really anything he could do as the speeds are within range of the falsified range that tech have listed on the account.

I am still awaiting a copy of the call recording relating to the sales call.

He also advised that the speeds I was originally quoted that the line according to Openreach is capable of.

I have also sent a complaint email to the concerns@talktalkplc.com email address, awaiting reply.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 5 of 30

Hi Fodderdude,

Thanks for the update. Did the engineer say why the speed are so much lower than the Openreach estimated speeds?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 30

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk .

TalkTalk enigneer has been out, no fault found as he said the speed is within the 100 /152/158 range.

Even though these are not the range figures I agreed to. Still awaiting copy of call recording.

He did check, as have cancellations and Openreach does show the line can do much more than currently receiving.

Any further assistance appreciated.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 7 of 30

Hi Fodderdude,

Yes we can arrange another engineer visit and it would be a broadband engineer (SFI).

The speed is low for your package so we really need the engineer to confirm that you line will support faster speeds as the issue doesn't appear to the modem.

Please also see Raising a complaint - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 30

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk .

Do Openreach still have SFI engineers? Perhaps another engineer would be appropriate.

Also, do TalkTalk have a complaints team you would be able to escalate this to?

I would also like to request a copy of the call recording from the sales call as this will show I was given different information regarding the speeds I would be getting compared to what technical support are saying was agreed to.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 30

The modem is capable of the speed or we wouldn't supply it. We can arrange another engineer visit if you like?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

@Chris-TalkTalk .

Hi again.

Currently the modem is pluged into the GFast faceplate.

I have tried into the master socket with a filter, but this also makes no difference.

The engineer did show me his equipment showing speeds in excess of 250Mbps when only connected directly to his equipment.

As soon as the TalkTalk modem is connected, it drops massively around 100Mbps down to around 150Mbps.

So there certainly appears to be some either configuration issue, or the modem is perhaps just not capable of this?

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 11 of 30

Sorry to hear that there's been no improvement. The modems aren't configured with a profile, the profile is set by DLM and doesn't appear to be limiting the speed. We don't supply 3rd party modems. 

Do you currently just have the modem connected to the master socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk .

The replacement modem has made no difference.

This is why it seems like the line is potentially being limited.

Are the modems configured with a profile?

Are TalkTalk able to provide a 3rd party modem such as an Openreach modem? Or would I have to purchase my own for like eBay?

Or would a DrayTek Vigor 166 modem be compatible with the service?

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 13 of 30

OK thanks, you should have the new modem either today or tomorrow, hopefully it will resolve the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 30

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk .

Judging so far by the support received and the constant wrong information I don't hold much hope of getting this resolved. 

Below is what the line is actually capable of.  

1000001113.jpg

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 15 of 30

OK thanks. If the engineer is getting 250Mbps to his equipment then hopefully the replacement modem will resolve the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 30

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk .

I have spoken to someone and 45 minutes into the call they agreed to replace the modem.

My concern now is that I am being told by multiple people that the speeds like maximum, average and minimum are different to what I agreed on sales call. 

I did speak to cancellation team and they can see the speeds I was given, not the speeds tech say.

I am very concerned and frustrated by this, I left my previous provider for better speeds which now looking at it, it wasn't worth. 

Thanks. 

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 17 of 30

Hi Fodderdude,

Thanks for the update. Have you spoken to anyone since your post as I can see that a replacement modem is on order?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 30

Hi.

Engineer attended this morning. 

Test from DSL cable to his equipment 240Mbps to 260Mbps, as soon as modem plugged in, drops to 158Mbps.

He called TalkTalk and they refused to replace modem or do anything else as apparently my minimum guarantee speed is 155Mbps.

This is NOT what I agreed to on the phone and if it was I would have stayed with Sky as we already got this.

I believe this might need to be dealt with as a formal complaint? 

Are you able to assist or advise further. 

Thanks. 

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Robinson.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 30

I've booked engineer appointment for - April 15 2024, AM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 30

OK thanks, I'll book the engineer now and get back to you with the details

Chris

0 Likes