cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Gradual slowing of BB Speed

flipper1
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

I have 'Fibre to the cabinet' and it usually works OK. I have noticed over the last few days that the line speed is gradually slowing. When this has happened before, resetting the router has cured it, but not now. In previous months, I've had the cable to the outside terminal box replaced, the indoor socket replaced [5C Mk4], the garden border dug up, [losing my Edelweiss!]; the lawn dug up, the pavement dug up [twice] and now, when I run the tests on my account, I get a degraded line speed. 48-50Mb was consistently good, but now, 19 Jan 48mb, 21 Jan 42mb, 22 Jan 33mb, 23, 24, 25, 26 & 27 Jan 21mb. I realise this is faster than the guaranteed speed [13mb] but having spent an hour or so on line yesterday, nothing seems to make any difference. Have TalkTalk deliberately throttled back the line speed I'm getting? Any ideas would be welcome!

11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hello,

I'm glad to hear this 🙂 Once the stabilisation period has fully completed then hopefully the speed should increase again, back to what it was previously.

Michelle

Message 2 of 12

Good morning! I did the 30 minute power down yesterday, and I have noticed an improvement in line speed. My previous very stable 21 for four days has now returned from whence it came, and I'm getting 40 down and 17 up even over WiFi, so I'm pleased with that. Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 12

Morning,

I've re-checked your connection stats again now and there is no further increase in speed as yet and the connection is still being stabilised at the moment. Did you have a chance to try the 30 minute router power down?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 4 of 12

Hi again,

Ok thanks and I will re-check the connection stats again first thing in the morning.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

I will power down my router [again] later today, for an hour, and see what happens. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi,

If the sync speed has increased, however the throughput speed remains the same then we usually advise trying a 30 minute router power down as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds. I'll also re-check the connection stats again tomorrow morning to see if the sync speed is still increasing and will post a further update back then.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

I'm not seeing any improvement yet, but I'm living in hope! Still getting 19-21 download, and 17 upload. I haven't seen such similarity between down and up rates in the past. Fingers crossed!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Good morning,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which has advised - No problem found on the Openreach network. The performance of this service may be impacted by a recent mass sync event.

I can see that the sync speed has started to increase again over the last 24-48hrs. What speeds are you currently seeing at the moment please?

Thanks

Michelle 

0 Likes

flipper1
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

I've taken Michelle-talktalk's advice and done as requested, and await developments!

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi flipper1,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

Talktalk doesn't throttle speeds, @flipper1, but they are unlikely to send out an engineer unless they drop below the minimum guaranteed. 

Staff will not be back on here before Monday. 

They may take you through more diagnostic tests. 

Please complete your community forum profile details for them to identify your account. Go via your avatar/name; settings  etc.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes