cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Is my broadband capped?

Billofthewildwest
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

I’m on Fibre 65 FTTC and about 3/4 mile from the cabinet. I installed a better modem and router in order to solve the problem of dropped wi-fi with my existing equipment. All now seems well. But, when I run a speed test (from a quiet household - i.e. nobody streaming) it always peaks out at 21Mbs. Now that’s good because previously I was getting 18 or 19, but the peak is always 21. Not 20, 20.5, 21.5, 22 etc. straight 21.0 every time. This makes me think a limit has been set, either by the isp or by the algorithms that control these things in the wan network. Maybe 21 was a good limit for when I was typically getting 18 or 19 Mbs, but now with better equipment it looks like I could be getting more.

Please can anybody advise whether this is a possibility and whether a tweak can be made, or maybe the clever old algorithm will sort itself out in a few days.

Thanks

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Billofthewildwest

No problem 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Ok thanks. All good.

Message 3 of 12

Hi Billofthewildwest

If the connection remains stable then DLM may increase the speed further. There isn't a cap as such on the line, DLM will monitor the connection and adjust the profile to get the best balance between speed and stability.

It would also be worth checking the link below to see when FTTP will be available. There is an availability checker half way down the page.

Your Future Fibre Support Hub

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Was originally about 13, then I replaced the very old BT faceplate and it went up to 18 or 19. Now with a dedicated modem and separate router I’m at 21. So getting better through my actions I think.  

As long as there is no artificial limit  imposed by ISP or exchange algorithms then I’m happy to see what unfolds. Will be interesting to see if there is a gradual improvement as fttp rolls out . Hopefully fttp won’t be too long for me anyway - I saw that open reach were committing to complete the copper replacement by the end of 2025. Quite a task in rural areas but fingers crossed.

Message 5 of 12

Hi Billofthewildwest

It's possible. Were you previously getting faster speeds when you first had your broadband connected?

It also depends on the line length, quality of the line etc.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Partly, yes. I’m thinking as more people move to fttp and the copper world becomes less congested (the copper bundles thin out, so less opportunity for cross talk etc), and maybe they even move the cabinet, might things improve by themselves? 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi Billofthewildwest

Do you mean FTTP rollouts? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Ok thanks.

So does that mean that if things can go faster as the roll out of fibre evolves, my sync speed will improve on its own? No adjustments needed by anybody?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi Billofthewildwest

Thank you.

I can see that the line is in sync at 22.7mb.

The minimum guaranteed speed for your line is showing as 18.1mb.

If you are receiving speeds of around 21mb sounds about right as throughput speed is always slightly less than the actual sync speed.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Have done so. There is no field for ‘land line’ so have put it alongside mobile number.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi Billofthewildwest

Please can you add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes