cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New connection, zero noise margin? Fibre 35

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 35 of 35

So we have just come from Sky, where I had rock solid connection for many years, at 25Mbps+ down, about 4Mbps up, with it settled on about 3dB noise margin for both.  When the connection switched on Friday the Sky router actually reconnected and the speed was similar.

However I removed it and plugged in the talktalk box.  It has connected at 19Mbps downstream, which is considerably slower than I'm used to, but the modern says the noise margin is 0!

Is this normal, or should I be worried. My account says it's day 3 of 10 for setting up, but I don't understand the 0dB noise margin which would imply it's not going to get any faster?

Screenshot_20230521-081950.png

Screenshot_20230521-082053.png

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 1 of 35

Hi Colin

I'm sorry to hear this. If there is anything else that we can help with then please let us know.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 2 of 35

Hi Debbie, thank you for help.  Yes it did seem to help the speed issues.  Unfortunately I then came up against another problem for which there is no straightforward solution it appears.  I've had to go temporarily back to my old sky router for now, and have ordered a third-party router which will have more configuration options.

Thanks again for the help though.

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 3 of 35

Hi Colin

Has everything been working ok since the firmware update?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 35

Hi Colin

Thanks for your reply.

I've updated your router firmware.

Debbie

Message 5 of 35

Thanks - I've installed and rebooted new router, if you are able to push new firmware that would be great.

Thanks,

Colin.

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 6 of 35

Hi

The 0db noise margin is a firmware bug and has been flagged previously.

If you reboot the router I'll see if I can push the later firmware for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 35

Good to see that it has connected a bit faster. Is it the same model of router as the previous one?

That speed isn't too far off the speed you were getting with the sky router, and I suspect that's probably as good as you're going to get. What is your actual guaranteed minimum?

I think you would be unlucky to get a second faulty router and very unlikely for it to have exactly the same fault, so I still have a suspicion that the 0dB noise margin is a firmware bug. What model is the router? Perhaps others with the same router could confirm whether their routers also report 0dB noise margin.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 35

Hi Debbie - new router has arrived... it has connected a bit faster, but has the older firmware again, but also seems to be showing "0dB" noise margin? 😕

seajays_0-1685106456187.png

seajays_1-1685106565391.png

(I think AllyM may be right!)

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 9 of 35

Hi seajays

I've checked and the router is showing as dispatched. Please let me know if you haven't received this by the end of today.

Thanks

Message 10 of 35

No, not yet.

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 11 of 35

Hi seajays

Has the replacement router arrived?

Message 12 of 35

Let us know how the the replacement router does.

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 13 of 35

Thanks - the openreach engineer definitely said there was something wrong with it after he had tested everything else.  It was connecting significantly slower than he said the line was running at (and has the weird 0dB noise margin), and significantly slower than the old sky router, which I've put back in for now!

(It was also slower than the guaranteed minimum line speed)

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 35

@seajays ,

It may simply be that the TalkTalk router just connects at a slower speed. Not all routers will connect at the same speed. Some chipsets may work better on some lines than others, the chipsets in the DSLAM line cards in the fibre cabinet may also interact differently and negotiate a different speed with the same or different chipset in the router, etc.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 35

Hi seajays

Thanks for your reply.

You should hopefully receive the replacement router today.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 35

Thanks, engineer has been - he also thinks there is a fault with the router after testing the line etc.  So hopefully when the new router arrives, that will sort things out. 

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 17 of 35

Hi seajays

I have arranged the engineer visit for tomorrow 24/05 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 35

Hi seajays

Yes of course, I've just replied 🙂

0 Likes

Message 19 of 35

Hi Debbie - I just pm'd you if that's OK.

Aquila non captat muscas

Message 20 of 35

Hi seajays

Thanks for your reply.

I've ordered a replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes