cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New connection, zero noise margin? Fibre 35

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 35 of 35

So we have just come from Sky, where I had rock solid connection for many years, at 25Mbps+ down, about 4Mbps up, with it settled on about 3dB noise margin for both.  When the connection switched on Friday the Sky router actually reconnected and the speed was similar.

However I removed it and plugged in the talktalk box.  It has connected at 19Mbps downstream, which is considerably slower than I'm used to, but the modern says the noise margin is 0!

Is this normal, or should I be worried. My account says it's day 3 of 10 for setting up, but I don't understand the 0dB noise margin which would imply it's not going to get any faster?

Screenshot_20230521-081950.png

Screenshot_20230521-082053.png

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 21 of 35

I think that might be a good idea - I've just reconnected my Sky router to see what it would do, and it reconnected normally back at 24MBps with 4dB noise margin - I think the talktalk router may be faulty.

Sky router stats when I tried just now:

seajays_0-1684827760130.png

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 22 of 35

Hi seajays

Would you like me to send a router first to rule this out?

0 Likes

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 23 of 35

Yes - it's this morning reconnected at 12Mbps... ☹️

The line  was perfect with Sky - nothing else has changed (other than installing your router).  I hope I will not be charged if it turns out it is a router fault.

It also still says that my Fibre broadband order is "pending" in my account.  I've started a discussion in billing as well.

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 24 of 35

Hi seajays

Thanks for confirming your details.

As the sync speed is below the predicted speed for the line we will need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit? Please can you also confirm potential engineer charges Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 25 of 35

Hi seajays

I'm just sending you a Private Message so I can take a look at the speed issue.

If you create a new topic in the Billing section, then my colleague Arne can take a look at the issues you are experiencing with My Account.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 26 of 35

Ok, it does seem to have updated, however the stats look the same.  There is another problem with my account though, as it appears to be "stuck" and has not activated properly, as I haven't received Netflix email, and I cannot manage anything like telephone options such as caller display. In my account it says broadband hasn't activated yet... 😐 (Even though it is working)

I went on to online chat today for almost 2 hours and was passed around sixteen customer agents - none of which seemed to know what to do... In the end they have supposed to have resent the Netflix email, though it still hasn't arrived.  😐

Screenshot_20230522-163110.png

Screenshot_20230522-163051.png

Screenshot_20230522-164029.png

Screenshot_20230522-164323.png

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 27 of 35

Hi seajays

I've updated your router firmware, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 28 of 35

Possibly overnight. By the time you check in the morning the support team will hopefully be on the case.  🙂

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 29 of 35

Thanks - tried that as well.  All the setting reset, but the connection details are just the same.  Would it try to do a firmware update immediately or overnight?

Aquila non captat muscas

Message 30 of 35

@seajays 

There is a more recent firmware version. Try a pinhole reset on your router and see if it updates. Subject to that, the support team will advise further when they are back online from Monday. 

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 35

Ok, probably best to leave it now to see if TalkTalk staff can offer any advice when they're back at work after the weekend.

0 Likes

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 32 of 35

Ok tried that... Left it off for 40mins, but no luck, basically exactly the same connection settings as before (and still saying zero noise margin 😐)

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 33 of 35

No, I just reconnected.  I'll try that, thanks 😊

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 35

The zero noise margin may just be a software bug/glitch.

When you switched over the routers did you leave at least 30 minutes between disconnecting the Sky one and firing up the TalkTalk one? If not, it may be worthwhile to try switching it off for 30 minutes to ensure that it hasn't just connected to a session started by the Sky router messing things up a bit.