cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

One connected device not at full speed

Keithios
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

My PC is connected and fast.com shows a speed <50Mbps, while my iPhone (while sitting at the laptop) also on fast.com shows 150Mbps .

Any ideas please?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 8

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that, I have replied to your PM.

Basically, you will never get those faster speeds over WiFi with your Windows 7 laptop as the WiFi adapter in it is too old, only supporting the much slower 2.4GHz WiFi band. This old version of Windows will cause you problems if you decide to buy a new USB3 WiFi adapter as well. The details about this are in my PM.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 8

Hello Keith, the link worked and I think I've sent the result of the first report to you by PM

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for that.

With Windows 7 it is not as simple to copy the command's output to the clipboard, as it is in Windows 10 & 11. Try this:-

EDIT, sorry the previous link is out of date, try this one, it should work:-

https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/7610/how-to-copy-and-paste-in-command-prompt#:~:text... 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Thank you for stepping in here. Now I realise I need to reply here and not to the email from TalkTalk Support.

I did answer your question in that non-delivered email reply which clearly you did not see.

I said this:- 

I’m a bit tied up at the moment but in advance do you mean reply here? My router (if we call it that) is a brand new EERO 6 supplied by TalkTalk. Laptop is yesterday’s model Samsung RF711,  7 years old, running W7. I know, but it works and it is good for me. Maybe that's the issue. 

I can now find and see the result from typing in the first line you asked me to do in the cmd black window. It is large and I cannot copy it then paste to you by PM. Sorry I'm in unchartered territory here.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

HI @Keithios 

First off, as I said before, which make/model of router do you have? If you are on fibre at the sort of speed that your phone gets, then you either have an Eero or a Hub 2 (Sagemcom FAST 5464). If you still do not know, then there is a label at the rear or underside of the router that will tell you.

Within Windows first, launch the command prompt (normally tying cmd in the search box will find it. This will open a small black window. It is in this window, where you need to type those two commands, one at a time. Then copy & paste the output into a PM to me.

To send me a PM, click my picture against one of my posts, after a short time my profile page loads and there is a blue "send message" button, just click on that & it will start a new message, already addressed to me.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Hello Keith. Sorry I'm lost here on many levels. I have just found your reply to my original post here on the Fibre page. I did get an email from TalkTalk help & Support, which I replied tobut maybe you did not see it?

I typed in the first command you gave me (netsh wlan show drivers) and hit enter. I see an inset black screen for less than one second, so have no idea what is shown, if anything.

My other puzzle is on the Fibre page, I see at the top a little face with a red circled 3 near it. I see a list of optios and a Messages tab but nothing shows under the latter.

Finally for now, you mentioned sending you a PM. How do I do that please?

Thank you

Keithios (really Keith like 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Please can you give me some more details:-

1. What make/model of router do you have?
  2. In your PC (assuming Windows ), please can you go to the command prompt. From there please can you issue these two commands:-

netsh wlan show drivers

netsh wlan show interface

Please press the Enter key after each command. Then send the output of these to me in a PM (to preserve your privacy).

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes