cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Problem with Plex/Chromecast since moving to TalkTalk

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

Hi - I moved to talktalk from sky a couple of weeks ago.

Since then I have been unable to cast from my plex media server to my chromecast devices due to an issue with secure connections.  I suspect that this may be due to DNS rebinding protection from the ISP in some way.  This document describes issues with DNS rebinding protection which may cause problems:  https://support.plex.tv/articles/206225077-how-to-use-secure-server-connections/#toc-4

I have tried using alternative DNS servers however and that has not worked,  it then goes on to describe scenarios with dnsmasq and pfSense DNS Resolver.

Could either of these, or something else be causing a problem.  Effectively I need to exclude plex.direct from any DNS rebinding protections, but I cannot see any settings on the talktalk hub (FAST 5364) to adjust that.

If I reconnect my old SKY router, everything works perfectly again.  Replace the talktalk one and it stops. 😕 

Any help would be appreciated.

Plex Chromecast Error MessagePlex Chromecast Error Message

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 1 of 16

Thanks, I've been in touch with them and it seems, looking at logs etc., that as suspected, it is some form of DNS rebind protection that is built into the router which is causing the problem.  Unfortunately as the router is locked down, there is no way to configure an exception, so for now I've gone back to my old Sky router (which works fine), and have ordered a replacement router that will allow me more configuration options.

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 16

Hi @seajays 

I do not have any experience with plex. Reading through the posts I can only suggest you contact their tech support.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 16

Yeah - me too! 😅   Thanks for the suggestions though. 👍

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi

Ok, so it won't be this then.  I'm stumped on this one, not sure why it is not working.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

I don't use the wifi in the routers (it is switched off in both the old sky router and the talktalk one).  I have a seperate mesh wifi network, which is connected to the router via ethernet port.

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi

try separating the 2 wifi channels in the router.  Some older chromecast devices can have an issue. I know my early chromecast didn't like the wifi channels until they separated.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Yeah it's very odd - everything else for Plex is working fine - I can play on desktop/app... it's purely when I try to use Chromecast.   If I simply swap the sky router back in again though everything works. 😕   I'm trying on the Plex forums also to see if there is anything there - otherwise I'll just have to swap back to the sky router (which is a shame as we'd just got the talktalk one working! 😄 )

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi

OK, not sure what this could be. I've made sure the router is now running the latest firmware, but  don't know of anything that would stop plex from working.  I've used plex in the past on my own TT connection with a sagemcom router and it worked ok.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Yes, everything has been rebooted (s actually powered off/on - everal times!), Plex server, apps, WiFi, router, Chromecast. No luck.

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi

Have you also restarted everything, including the plexserver ?

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

OK, you have lost me there I'm afraid! My internal setup is far simpler and I know it works, that's all I can share, sorry.  Hopefully somebody else can come along and advise further. 

@KeithFrench Can you help here maybe, please?

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 16

Yes I suspect it's something to do with the "rebinding" protection described in the link above - although not sure if that explains why it works from other apps... Plex seems to do something interesting with the plex.direct domain which is meant to be sent via DNS to a local address.  At least that's my current thought!

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

OK, I am a wee bit puzzled then. I thought you might need to revisit your Chromecast settings to make sure that it is connected to your new TalkTalk router, but If other devices and apps are connecting via that and are casting OK I can't think what else you might do. 

0 Likes

seajays
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

Hi, sorry, should have said.  I have a terramaster NAS server on the local network running PMS.

All other connections to it work and playback is no problem, so PC/laptop browser can play fine.  Mobile app can play fine on the phone as well - just when you try to cast to any of our Chromecast from the app (we have two) it fails with that error.

It is not WiFi, as that is disabled in both my new and old router, as I have a mesh network which connected the same to either router.

Oh, and yes all other apps etc are casting fine to Chromecast (e.g. Disney+ etc)

Aquila non captat muscas
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

I presume you have your Plex Media Server installed on a laptop/PC, are you able to access the player OK via the web browser there? So is it just the casting feature that is failing? Are you able to cast from other sources to the Chromecast? I have been using Plex for years on my TalkTalk connection and have never experienced any ISP-related issues. 

0 Likes