cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Request for new router

Narzal
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

Hello,

My router seems to turn itself off randomly when I'm downloading or watching high quality videos, will disconnect from ethernet and wifi randomly, it's usually absolutely fine. The more I download the more unstable the router becomes. It has been increasingly worse over the past year. The router is a few years old so I wonder if it may just need replacing.

Can I please request a replacement?

Thanks

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14
0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Narzal

Thank you 🙂  Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Received today, thank you! I'll use it for a week and update you, really hope this sorts it

Message 4 of 14

OK, I've ordered a router to test with. Please let us know if it resolves the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

I can't feasibly turn off wifi, it needs to be on. I also can't predict when it will happen because it does seem random - although is definitely worse when I download things but that's not a guarantee. 

In the last ~5 years I have not added any other wifi devices, they've remained pretty much the same, it isn't more or less busy than it was. I have tried wifi channels but this one appears to work best for us. 

I don't believe it's the internet because of how incredibly quickly it reconnects, things like Discord don't even notice it has gone, however games which are my main usage, kick me out. It is a split second nothing more. It does appear to happen significantly move when I've been downloading in the last hour or two, it will then be unstable for the rest of the day. If you have any other suggestions I will try them but this has slowly got worse over the last year.

I would use a third party router however my network then acts very differently, third party routers don't seem to multitask well - right now I can stream/download/play games all at the same time and it seems to manage. I have used £200+ routers and been unable to do that, I don't know if that's shaping from talktalk or what but a slow download will grind everything to a halt with any router other than the talktalk one. I have tried many models over the years, cheap ones, top of the range ones, always the same problem with no ability to multitask.

As a last resort for me, trying a new piece of hardware is a viable option because the router is older, they do deteriorate after being so hot for years on end.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Your router is a current model running the latest firmware, we would only be able to replace it with the same model running the same firmware. I think it's unlikely that the issue is being caused by your router. 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

I would like to try a new router

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

OK thanks. Line test is clear and the last disconnection I can see was on Sunday for 50 seconds. Your current wifi channel is very congested though. We can try disabling wifi optimisation which will allow you to manually set a wifi channel, would you like to give this a try?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

I don't get chance to notice. It's very very quick. The ethernet and WiFi drop for a split second then come back but it's long enough to disturb any games or videos as it causes a disconnect for a moment.

Can I try a new router please

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi nelco,

As Gliwmaeden2 has said, can you please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

@nelco, very important to start your own thread. Please don't post on a similar thread while the OP is still in need of support. 

Please go back to the message board and click on start a topic. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

nelco
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Hello,

My router does not switch on any more ( lights do not come on); how do I request for a new replacement please ? I am presently working abroad but did not have the chance and time to ring before I left UK.

Thanks.

Ed
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi Narzal,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Does the light change on your router when the connection drops

Chris

0 Likes