cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Unable to connect wireless printer to WiFi

ian_uk
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 23

The instructions on the printer are to press the WPS button on the router to connect. My new TalkTalk router doesn't have a WPS button on it any more, what is the workaround please?

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 23

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Thanks for that, it is exactly the part I read and it does not tell people how to manually connect a printer at all. I realise that this is an Eero document and not written by TalkTalk. They do not support WPS (fair enough, that was their design specification), but all it had to say in the article was:-

Locate your wireless network name (SSID) in the printer and using its on-screen keyboard manually enter the wireless password.

A lot of Canon printers, mine included do not allow manual connection, only via WPS, then this is a showstopper. Change the printer or the router. A previous HP of mine did allow a manual connection.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 23

Hi

I've received the following information:

The page does depict on how to setup the printer wirelessly, First, check that your printer supports WPA2 AES-based CCMP encryption. Some older printers don't support this, and may require a driver update. For most printers, you can find a driver update by searching for the make and model of the printer and downloading the suggested software update.
Next, try unlinking your printer from any old network settings it may have, and reconfiguring it for your new eero network. Some printers remember stale network settings, like your old router's MAC address, and therefore don't transition seamlessly to your eero network.

If you're still having trouble after trying the steps listed above, don't hesitate to give us a call.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 23

@KeithFrench  No problem 🙂

I will let you know as soon as they come back to me.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 23

Thanks @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 23

Hi @KeithFrench 

I will feed this back to our Devices Team to see if they can offer any advice about this.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 23

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I know you can't do anything about it. I just meant that their article is supposed to tell you how to connect a printer wirelessly, but it doesn't!!

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

Hi Keith

Yes I seen that. Unfortunately this is out of our hands as it's eeros device sorry.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 23

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I have seen that page before & if you read it, whilst it says the Eero doesn't support WPS, it does not tell you how you are supposed to connect it. A lot of printers will allow you to select the network name & enter the password via an on screen keyboard or similar. However, it does seem that this Canon does not allow you to do this. Whilst I totally agree with Eero about the vulnerabilities of WPS, at least with the other TalkTalk routers you can keep this facility disabled. Then when you want to connect a printer or other device, you can enable WPS whilst connecting it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23
0 Likes

Message 10 of 23

Hi @KeithFrench 

Ahh right ok. I will feed this back to our Products Team too.

Thanks for your help.

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 23

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

It is really more that the Eero does not support WPS.

Keith

Message 12 of 23

Hi ian_uk

I'm sorry to hear this. Is this to do with their printer capabilities?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 23

Canon have confirmed that their wireless printers aren't compatible with the new Eero router, so I've had to revert to a cable which will serve for now

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23
0 Likes

Message 15 of 23

Thanks ian_uk

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks again for your help Keith 🙂

0 Likes

Message 16 of 23

Thanks so much, I'll investigate the link

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 23

Hi @ian_uk 

Well Canon does not seem to make it easy on the MG3600 as far as finding out how to connect to a wireless network manually where you select the router & enter the password:-

https://www.canon.com.au/get-inspired/pixma-wireless-print-setup#:~:text=With%20the%20device%20switc... 

Go down to the section marked:-

Connect your PIXMA to your computer wirelessly in three steps

However, when it comes to entering the wireless password, there may be an onscreen keyboard that comes up I cannot be sure.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 23

Well, that is the problem, the Eero does not support WPS. Let me look at the capabilities of your printer & get back to you.

Keith

Message 20 of 23

Thanks Keith

It's a Eero K010001 router and the printer is a Canon MG3600

0 Likes