cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

VDSL2 DLM? issues since restarted modem

FingerlessGloves
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hi,

I recently unplugged my modem to change what it was plugged in to, it had over 400 days of uptime on Saturday (27th May) about 4PM. Didn't unplug or change anything else just the power.

Then on Sunday (28th May) I started getting packetloss and VDSL2 was reconnecting a few times from about 8:30PM until 10:30PM. Looking at the modem statistics I could see the Line Attainable rate changing constantly, from one extreme to the other. Minute it was 55000 next 33000 for example. The internet seems to have been stable since, but the synced line rate has dropped few times to 47000 then 44000. Before this all started it would sync around 55000.

The line isn't reconncting as often as it was now, but the line rate is Line Attainable rate is still changing quite a bit but not as extreme most of the time. 2-3 days on since all this started, I can still see the Line Attainable rate constantly changing. I have uploaded a graph showing this, as they may show more insight.

I thought DLM only took 24 hours or can it take multiple days? Do I need to do anything or do I just leave it for a few more days?

Many Thanks

FingerlessGloves

ModemGraphs.png
Modem: EchoLife HG612
Router: OPNsense Firewall as router
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi FingerlessGloves

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Hi Debbie,

Looks to have resolved itself now, not had any issues for a good few days now.

Message 3 of 21

Hi FingerlessGloves

Has everything been working ok since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21
0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

I unplugged the ethernet cable from the modem to the Firewall, and plugged it back in again. Speed is now as I expect, I'm guessing some traffic shaping was being applied that wasn't showing in the WebUI.

Shall continue to monitor.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi FingerlessGloves

Thanks for your reply.

If the throughput speed (speed tests) are lower than the sync speed then it would be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then running another speed test.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi Debbie,

It's much more stable and not seeing any packetloss that I've noticed anyway. The VDSL is currently synced at 61129kbit Down and 13921kbit Up. It was synced a little lower than that over the weekend at 55000ish kbit down.

What I do find strange is doing any speed tests from Speedtest.net, TalkTalk's Speedtest on support.talktalk.com or even OVH's Speedtest to a London DC. I'm getting between 40-42Mbit/s download is down but the upload is ok at 12Mbit/s.

I'm not sure why the Download is 15-20Mbit's lower than the reported sync rate at the modem or is this to be expected but I wouldn't of thought so?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi FingerlessGloves

How's the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi

Tests are showing clear currently, but I can see some drops. If this continues then we may have to progress towards an engineer.

Would you like to try swapping out the router before we progress this ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi Karl,

How is my connection looking today? I've had 2 drops just now. VDSL has reconnected, as my line rate is now lower 55 to 53. Looking to be getting packetloss as well now.

It's been fine all night and morning, until now.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Indeed does look better now.

I shall keep an eye on it and hopefully the DLM doesn't kick in again, like it did last time causing problems for days.

DLM doesn't start until 8PM I think I read somewhere, but that maybe old information.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi

tests all showing clear now, try a speed test.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi

connection looks better now with the new session, errors are not being detected. I'll see what I can do for the speed.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi Karl,

30 minutes have passed and I have powered the modem back on. Fingers crossed this helps.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi Karl, sure no problem. It's now been unplugged, I shall set a 30-35 minute timer then plug it back in, you may see it's down from your side hopefully.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Hi

OK, that should be fine, if you can power off the router for a full 30 minutes, this will reset the session, then I'll see if the errors continue.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi Karl,

I only changed the power side of the modem. The VDSL (Telephone) wiring didn't changed. That's plugged directly in to the OpenReach Master Socket which is the first socket the Telephone wire goes to from outside. That has no extensions and uses a 1meter RJ11 to RJ11 cable direct from the modem to the Master Socket filter plate. I haven't touch this side of the modem in years.

I think this clarifies things 😊

0 Likes

FingerlessGloves
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

Hi Karl,

I unplugged the 3pin power plug, from 4 way power strip in to a 6 way powerstrip. Was just swapped out, like for like but with more sockets. The other equipment plugged in to the powerstrip is working fine. All plugged in the same.

I have not touched the phoneline side of the modem, the modem itself didn't even get touched.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi

when you say you changed what it was plugged into, can you elaborate a little, is it directly to the socket, any extensions in place or switches etc.

I'm seeing an increase in error seconds exceeding threshold and these could be causing DLM to react.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes