cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

VPN keeps disconnecting PPP server error

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 25

As of a few days ago I'm getting kicked off within 5 seconds of connecting to my work VPN. IT guy at work says it's an ISP issue. I've tried rebooting the router(s) with no effect. 

I wonder if this has anything to do with what a TalkTalk rep said to me on the doorstep last week. A woman came around hawking TalkTalk and I said I was already with you and she asked if I had the black router or the white one as the black one would stop working on Monday (just gone). I've got the black router but it's connected through a smaller white modem because fibre or whatever and she said I'd be okay, but coincidentally or otherwise this problem started on Monday. I really need it sorting as it's preventing me from accessing services at work.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi Lee,

I can see that the laptop is connected on 5ghz, have you also tried the 2ghz channel?

Michelle

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 25

As of right now there are five devices connected to the router. The only device using the VPN is my work laptop, a 16" Macbook Pro 2021. As I previously stated, I can establish a VPN connection from the same laptop when I connect via personal hotspot through my phone onto my mobile phone provider's network. I also successfully connected via VPN on public wifi in the local library uninterrupted for four hours the other week. It only fails when connected through the TalkTalk router and Openreach modem on the TalkTalk network. Speedtest (without VPN) confirms my usual connection speed >140Mb down and 29Mb up.

I've just enabled the VPN and it's been stable for a few minutes. I'll let you know how long the session is maintained.

51181FA2-83E3-41FC-B453-C42465237598.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi again,

How many wireless devices do you currently have connected? If you run a speed test what speeds are you seeing please? What device specifically are you accessing the VPN on please and we can check the wireless connection for this device. Is it currently only the VPN which is dropping, is everything else stable?

Michelle

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 25

About 5 feet.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Hi Lee,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the connection looks stable for 8 days. How far away is your device from the router when this is happening please?

Michelle

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 25

Nope. Didn't work. VPN was playing up again yesterday, and late yesterday evening the broadband disconnected so I took the opportunity to turn the whole lot off over night.

Turned it back on just past 7am this morning. Connected the VPN and it worked for a bit but soon disconnected again. Not sure of the timing but between 5 and 25 minutes.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Good morning,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 25

Well, that's interesting. I hadn't actually got around to "turning-it-off-and-on-again" due to constant use. However, I just had call to plug in my range extender so I can get WiFi in the garden, and I tried out the VPN - and it seemed to work, persisted a connection for several minutes. 

It makes no sense to me that it would work through an extender connected through the same equipment so I switched back to a direct router connection - and it's currently working.

At the moment it looks like the problem is solved, and I haven't changed anything so presumably someone your end must have. I'll let you know if the problem comes back, and if it does the first thing I'll try is that half hour cooldown you suggested.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Hi ThisLeeN0ble,

Could you switch the modem and router off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest the VPN. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 25

Ok, what's next then?

• I still can't establish a VPN connection for longer than 5 seconds on my TalkTalk connection.
  • I can get a stable VPN connection on the same laptop on a public WiFi network
  • I can get a stable VPN connection on the same laptop connected via personal hotspot on my phone

This rules out anything but your network or your equipment being the problem. Everything worked fine up until last Monday and I was coincidentally notified by a TalkTalk rep that "something", I know not what, would stop working from that Monday, something to do with the router. So what was that about?

Do you want the old router sending back even though the new one has made no difference?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hi ThisLeeN0ble

Apologies, it is a G.fast connection.

You will need to connect the router to the Openreach modem.

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 25

I don't recognise that terminology. My understanding was that I had fibre coming into the house and there's a white Openreach modem or router or whatever that sits between the broadband port and the router. I usually get 140Mbps down and 30 up. Does that help you confirm my connection type? G.Fast means nothing to me.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi ThisLeeN0ble

Just to confirm, do you have a G.fast connection?

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 25

I've installed the new router and the VPN connection problems persist. On Friday I went worked in the library for several hours, using the public wifi, and the VPN was connected throughout without any disruption.

This was using the same laptop as I use at home so the problem only happens when connected via my TalkTalk service.

Do I still need to piggy-back the router through the other white (presumably modem)? I notice that the new router is slightly updated as it mentions digital voice network on the back. Can I bypass the white box and plug it directly into the fibre connection now?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Hi ThisLeeN0ble

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 25

Certainly.👌

Message 17 of 25

Thanks for trying this. Are you happy for us to send a replacement router?

Thanks

Michelle

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 25

I can confirm that following a factory reset of the router, I'm still unable to establish a VPN connection for longer than 5 seconds.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Hi,

Ok. Is it only VPN which is affected? Is the connection stable on all other devices? Have you also tried factory resetting the router? If you've already tried this then I think we should send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

ThisLeeN0ble
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 25

When you say "reconnection", I assume you mean from this morning. That would tally with the one attempt I've made at a VPN connection this morning that failed after a few seconds. I did also reboot both modem and router yesterday before I made my first post on the topic in case you're referring to that one.

0 Likes