cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

WPS workaround

Davewn25yx
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

Anyone got any working solutions to adding a WPS button to an Eero 6 network?

Repeater?

Another Wi-Fi router in bridge mode?

I need it to connect my EV charger.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 17

You are very welcome.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Keith, it does work. Thank you. It just took ten mins to pair. An amazing solution, thank you. The WiFi extender is paired with the Eero and by using the Exetnder WPS it brings the Indra Pro into the WiFi loop. Well done - your support was a million times better than the TalkTalk helpdesk (who did not even realise Eero does not support WPS until I googled it and told them). Thanks again 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

I tried that too. Doesn’t work. The chinglish instructions were hard to understand but apparently the WPS button on the extender is to pair the extender to a WPS enabled router.

One solution could be to use a network cable to the extender and charger and then the WiFi extender connected via WiFi to the router. However that would probably need the installer to attend.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 17

Is the WiFi extender et to use the same SSID & Wifi passphrase as the Eero? You may even have to set the security mode on the extender to match that of the Eero. You may be in a situation where the charger now has the correct SSID/passphrase of the Eero, but refuses to connect to it, which is a different problem.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

I located a wifi extender which is now connected to my WiFi and activated its WPS. The EV charger failed to connect to it.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 17

Hi @WPSNightmare 

Well, I don't see why it wouldn't work unless there is anything else that the charger tries to do via WPS. Using this method will not compromise the Eero's security level that you are using.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

The only solution to this problem was to buy a new router with WPS functionality. Unfortunately this means downgrading the security protocols but needs must. I chose a Linksys Velop mesh system with three nodes in it. The WPS is software based so you activate it through the Linksys app on your phone but it works. Absolutely agree with Indra support. Useless to say the least. I reported back six months ago that this wireless dongle they use is causing issues with new router standards and they agreed they need to update the technology but when I called them the other day as we are having issues after the storm the other week, I asked if this had been addressed they said they didn’t know anything about the problem. I’ve also got them telling me to use an app that their own techs said not to use.

I can’t recommend Indra myself now.

Message 8 of 17

Yes, WPS is the only connection method unless I get the EV charge company out to change the charger. If your method works I will buy a second router. There is not one available I can borrow unfortunately. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 17

I assume that WPS is the only connection method is it, you can't enter the password manually. Can you borrow an old router from a friend (it does not need to be a TalkTalk one) to try my workaround?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

I don’t have an old router to try your suggestion.  TalkTalk router  requested the old router back so I returned it to them before realising the limitations of the Eero. So, no.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 17

Hi @WPSNightmare 

Did you try my suggested workaround?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi Davewn25yx, did you find a solution? I also have an Indra Pro smart charger and finding it is no longer functional. No one at TalkTalk explained the Eero does not have WPS, and the technical support after purchase were hugely ignorant on this issue and didn’t realise this either. I have searched online and suspect I need to replace the Eero. I am regretting upgrading to Full Fibre - it is not worth losing the WPS functionality. Any help you can offfer would be great. Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 17

Yes, there are major vulnerabilities with WPS.

What about this, WPS normally gives the device the network name (SSID) & password.

Configure your old router (I doubt if it needs to be connected to anything) to the same SSID & password used by your Erro. Connect this device to the old router, using WPS. Once the connection is established, turn off this router & try to let the device connect to the Eero's WiFi.

Keith

0 Likes

Davewn25yx
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 14 of 17

The issue here is the Ovo charge anytime platform. I can’t add it until the Indra is on Wi-Fi. But if I add the Indra app then the charger won’t talk to the Ovo Kaluza app. 
removing WPS is causing major headaches.

0 Likes

Davewn25yx
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

According to Indra No.

the Wi-Fi dongle they supply is WPS only.

My thought was stick an old 4G router I have in. Connect the charger Wifi to that one using WPS then connect that router to the Eero 6 hub. Has anyone tried this? I’m currently away for a couple of weeks with work so will only get chance to try it when I get back but would be nice to know if the theory won’t work.

0 Likes

AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

I've just had a quick look at the Eero support forums and it's a sore subject for many users. The official line from Eero is that WPS has security implications.

Does the EV Charger not have a smartphone app where you can enter a wifi username and password?

0 Likes