cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wi-Fi dropouts

nick66522
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

Im having regular Wi-Fi dropouts with my WiFi hub. When I try certain Wi-Fi channels it seems to help but it changing itself to a different channel after a short time. Can I please request for Wi-Fi optimisation to be turned off?

Thanks

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 14

No worries @nick66522 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 14

Hi @nick66522 

I'm so glad to hear that the connection has improved.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 14

Hi @KeithFrench 

Thanks for the offer to help but I’ve managed to get the dropouts to stop and the overall connection is actually better than it was before the dropouts started. I don’t think there’s any need to go further with this.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 14

Hi @nick66522 

If you would like to PM me (to protect your privacy) with as many screenshots as you can from your analyser, then I'll take a look at them.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 6 of 14

Hi @KeithFrench

I have also found that on the 5GHz band certain Wi-Fi channels have a stronger connection throughout the house as well as no dropouts. I do also use a Wi-Fi scanner which isn’t super detailed but does give the RSSI levels and Wi-Fi channels of all networks in my area. Just so you know I have the Sagemcom FAST 5364 Wi-Fi hub.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 14

Hi @nick66522 

If you look back at one of my earlier posts, I offered to help you. I would never recommend changing channels without reference to a WiFi analyser.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk ,

I have found that manually selecting some Wi-Fi channels are causing dropouts and others are working fine with no dropouts. Before turning off Wi-Fi optimization is would regularly change channels sometimes causing dropouts and sometimes not. So a definite improvement me being able to manually change the channel and it not then changing itself to a different one causing dropouts.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi @nick66522 

How's the connection been since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi nick66522

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off as requested, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks @KeithFrench 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 14

When TalkTalk has disabled WiFi optimisation, if you want my help, please let me know.

Keith

Message 12 of 14

Thanks for replying. Wired connections work absolutely fine with no problems, it’s only wireless connections dropping out regardless of strong or weak signal.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and disable WiFi optimisation for you. 

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes