cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wi-fi keeps dropping. Happening for 2 weeks now.

Ash123456
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

Good afternoon. For the last two weeks the week keeps dropping on on devices like the iPhone, Android phone and laptop. I have to reset the router and switch off/on the devices. This is a major headache as I work from home 2 days a week. How do I request a new router or router to test the connection? Many thanks.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 17

Yes, that will be WiFi interference, if you can get the screenshots PM'd to me that I require, I should be able to help you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Michelle. I have connected a laptop via Ethernet and get no breaks on the internet. It only breaks when using WiFi. Is this a case of WiFi interference? Thanks. Ash 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Keith. I have connected a laptop via Ethernet and get no breaks on the internet. It only breaks when using WiFi. Is this a case of WiFi interference? Thanks. Ash 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 17

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Keith. Please send me the guide to get the diagnostic result. Thanks. Ash 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 17

You can use any compatible 3rd party router that you want. WiFi Optimisation is only supported by the Sagemcom routers. However, if the issue is, as I suspect, a WiFi reception issue, changing routers without resolving the issue will get you nowhere.

It is up to you if you want my help or not.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Keith. I have a Netgear router. Can I try this router? Do I have to use the TalkTalk supplied router? Cheers

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi Ash,

WIFI optimisation monitors the connection and picks the best wireless channel for your line. Some customers find choosing their own wireless channel helps the connection.

Michelle

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 17

Hi @Ash123456 

I am waiting to hear if you want my help or not.

When WiFi optimisation is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Michelle. What is wifi optimisation? Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi Ash,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to switch the wifi optimisation off to see how this compares?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Michelle

I have worked from home two days in a row and the suggested fixes have not worked. Wifi keeps dropping. What are my next steps? Regards. Ash

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Ash,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi. I contacted your helpdesk on Saturday. They have asked me to do a few things and monitor the line. I am currently doing this on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and will will reply to you after those tests. Many thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Hi Ash,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

This is far more likely to be WiFi interference than a faulty router. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes