cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

downloads speed has dropped to 10mbps

moorlander
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

good morning everyone and A happy new year to all.

All has been going well until yesterday when I returned home ..Noticed that my internet speed was extremely low. I am on fibre 65 with copper cable from cabinet to property ( OPEN REACH have missed us off the national network upgrade as all our lines are underground and will not upgrade until individual customers request this  - long story for another time  ) 

Download speed is usually around 55mbps which is ample for our family and work purposes . Yet noted that is was now 10mbps yet the uploads speed was around 15mbps. I undertook speed tests via talktalk speed test and via OOKLA separately ...Both indicates no issues with PING or LATENCY yet showed that my downloads speed was around 10mbps.

I reported this via talktalk webpage and was advised there was a fault on my service...which I thought GREAT !! it would be sorted out overnight..How wrong I was....checked back this morning having received a text message advising there was no fault found and after checking again via the talktalk support page endued up on chat service ....and after an hour or so was advised that an engineer would be required ....only after been told to remove the open reach socket ....check all my devices ( all disconnected for testing and no issues found ) multiple lines tests...router reboots...rooter power off and on several times ...more reboots.....

I cant understand why the uploads speeds are unaffected and PING and LATENCY are also unaffected yet downloads are very low speeds....

Do talk talk throttle back ''unlimited'' fibre?

We only watch tv now via the internet and it has taken a hammering over Christmas yet not to a massive degree...

So engineer coming tomorrow...not sure who as talktalk agent would not give me the company name ( so much for security etc - will probably by MJ QUINN bit it would be nice to know ) 

and I did get the standard ..''if we cant find anything you will be charged £75'' ...

has anyone else experienced speed issues lately ?

Surfing from The Independent Republic of Yorkshire
0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi moorlander

I can see that a credit has been raised. 

Sorry for the inconvenience 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Apologies for the delay ..have been been working away from home .....Talktalk ''customer services'' advised me that they would be refunding the £75 but have checked today ( allowing them to remove their thumbs from up their backsides ) and it appears that they have NOT refunded me the £75 they charged me for the defect on the openreach network - 

The whole process has been a typical Talktalk farce.........See my previous post on the subject of the TT engineer while at my home...

So now  I am sat on hold with TT customer services in god knows where trying to get MY money back...

This really is the straw that has broken the camels back....And TT  have the audacity to send me multiple emails asking me to provide feedback on ''my experience ''..If I were to share my true feelings I would no doubt be banned from this forum.....

**EDIT**......Gave up trying to get through to Talktalk via phone....looked at my account and despite requesting a refund and being told I would get a full REFUND.. Talk talk have credited part of the amount to my march bill  and then left it to me to request a refund....only found his out by logging into my account ...No email from Talktalk advising me of this........just another ''request for feedback''

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/ofcom-most-complained-about-broadband-providers/#:~:text=For%....

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi moorlander,

Glad to hear that your service has been working OK. Did the agent that you spoke to yesterday confirm that they were refunding the engineer charge?

Chris

moorlander
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 22

Apologies for delay in responding- the connection has been great , not used the replacement router as yet as openreach suspected it was solely down to a network issue on their part . 
However ……. And it’s a big however …

just received a £75 charge for an engineer call out … Contacted TT via chat to be told the charge was down to the TT engineer not finding a fault and that I requested an openreach engineer … when in fact it was the TT engineer who wanted openreach to come out as he suspected a problem on the openreach network ……. So have spent the best Part of two hours today trying to explain that ….. Can an OCE check that I’m going to get a refund as I don’t that it’s very fair to receive a charge when a fault was found which was not down to me 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Hi moorlander

How are you getting on, how's the connection been?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Hi moorlander

Thanks for your reply.

I will check in with you next week to see how the connection has been.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Openreach reset the network and all seems fine at the money . I have received the router however openreach engineer advised to keep the existing router connected for a week to see if anything arises etc and then connect up the new one 

Message 8 of 22

Hi moorlander

Have you received the router?

Thanks

Message 9 of 22

Hi moorlander

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares once the new router has been connected for a couple of days.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 10 of 22

Yes please … Talktalk engineer has been today ….. he had a struggle convincing the Talktalk customer service / tech dept that we had a fault !!! They kept asking ME to carry  out tests while he was here and then asked him to carry out the same tests again and again - and then asked me again to carry out tests !!!how mad is that …. Openreach …coming to my house tommorow  as the Talktalk engineer suspected a fault at the cabinet or exchange - he did suggest I fit in contact with you to request a router so another router would help just in case the router is faulty as well ?

The issue is that the upload speed is higher than the download speeds …. Max download speed is 10.9mbps yet ping and latency are fine and as should be 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi moorlander

Would you like me to send a replacement router first so we can rule out any potential faults with your current router?

Message 12 of 22

Several years ago - not sure how long 

Message 13 of 22

Hi moorlander

When did we last send you a replacement router?

Message 14 of 22

These things happen, particularly when you are still on a part-copper circuit. Hopefully the engineer can identify an external issue and fix it accordingly. 

moorlander
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 22

Strange that the ping / latency and upload speed are fine yet download is poor speed

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

TalkTalk do not throttle.

moorlander
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 22

Has talk talk throttled back my connection ?

Limited the  download speed for some reason ?

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

I don’t normally have the landline connected as I use my mobile via WiFi calling but I have plugged a phone in and the line is clear 

I have attached a recent screenshot of the a speed test done earlier today 

IMG_3046.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi moorlander,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 22

Hi Debbie . Everything has been in for quite a while now … until yesterday.

On instruction of the chat service agent …. I plugged the router into the test socket and undertook several reboots and power down / ups which had no effect . Still slow download speeds yet uploads , PINGS and latency are what they were prior to having problems … and they are still ok.

there has been no changes to the set up, no cabling changes and no additional devices ( I disconnected all wired devices and turned off all WiFi connected devices to check and the speed test was the same as they were connected ) 

I have had no drop offs / disconnections and the light on the hub router has remained solid white 

0 Likes