cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

openreach upgrading to fibre

cobaltblue
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

On 29 August Fibre Solutions  installed fibre to the pole on my estate. There was no notification of this and I only happened to be at home at the time. I telephoned the number on their van and was told that in ~ 3 weeks time I would receive a letter from BT inviting me receive fibre broadband.

No letter has arrived although I have receive marketing information from BT and Vodaphone re fibre broadband offers.

Should Talktalk be contacting me? If I upgraded to fibre I understand I would need a new router with a phone socket. Would this upgrade and router be free? Up till now I have only been able to have Fast Broadband.

Please can you tell me what is going on. I have heard nothing from Talktalk. Do they even know about this. Are Openreach out of the picture and replaced by Fibre Solutions now.  I read on the forum something about Talktalk having their own wiring.

I am quite happy to stay on my current broadband speeds and landline. 

Who will be making the new connections between the pole and the houses? Is it BT, Openreach, Fibre Solution or what? I am totally confused and without information. My Talktalk contract ends next February.  I have heard that there are some options to stay on copper but would that only be for my current contract?

Basically, should I expect a communication from Talktalk about the switch to fibre. At the moment the fibre cables are running underground and then up the pole with the copper ones. So will there be an option to keep the copper and only change those wishing to have fibre. Will any remaining copper wires still link to the exchanges?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Fibre Solutions Ltd are just an installation contractor. The question is who are they contracting for in your area? Are they working for Openreach or another network operator? From their response it would appear that they are working for Openreach as you were advised you'd receive a letter from BT about Full Fibre availability.

When that letter arrives it means that BT are accepting customer orders for Full Fibre. But for TalkTalk to be able to provide Full Fibre requires Openreach to install Cablelinks at the exchange site to connect up TalkTalk backhaul equipment at the exchange to the newly enabled Full Fibre connections going back to the exchange.

When that last bit of work is done then you'll see the TalkTalk availablity checker confirm that TalkTalk are accepting customer orders for Full Fibre. At that point you may receive an offer from TalkTalk to upgrade your service to Full Fibre.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

cobaltblue
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

Here is an article from ISPreview dated 09/09/2023 titled: 

Broadband ISP TalkTalk Start FREE Automatic UK FTTP Upgrades

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/09/broadband-isp-talktalk-start-free-automatic-uk-fttp-up...

Maybe it would be possible to enquire as to whether talktalk are speaking to Fibre Solutions who are doing the install in my area.

This was a very interesting article although dated 2021 but does give links to openreach and btwholesale postcode checkers re full fibre.

What’s Involved in an Openreach FTTP Full-Fibre Broadband Installation?

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/fttp-full-fibre-broadband-installation

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi cobaltblue,

I've not received an update back as yet on the status on the battery back up units, as this still may be in trial. I'd recommend contacting our Sales/Loyalty Team directly to see what options are available for you. If you did want to possibly upgrade to FTTP without VOIP then it would be worth asking the team if they are still offering a copper/voice leave behind. This was previously an option so the team should be able to confirm if this is still an available. Eventually (around 2025) copper will be fully phased out and all voice services will be provided digitally over VOIP.

I hope this helps.

Michelle

0 Likes

cobaltblue
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 4 of 9

This is the result for my house on the openreach  broadband checker - standard broadband but retaining the copper phone line which will not cut out in a power cut? I read something about hybrids fibre/copper lines. That would suit me as our 4MBPS copes with everything we do.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker/my-products

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

@cobaltblue, this is a recent update on the forum on the policy:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Our-Blog/Copper-Telephone-Network-Switch-Off-What-does-it-mean-f....

What we don't know yet is when exactly Talktalk will offer it to you, because they won't know even themselves till closer to the time. They are also dependent on availability of engineers from other companies doing the installations. It's a massive operation across the country, and they are fully aware of the need not to leave you stranded.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi cobaltblue,

I've asked our Product Team for an update on a battery back up unit (BBU) and will post back as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

cobaltblue
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Gliwmaeden2 but it is still very confusing.

At the moment my broadband satisfies all my requirements and I do not want to voluntarily want to change my landline to VOIP which wlll not work in a power cut.

Fibre Solutions has installed Fibre to the Pole and it will be up to me to decide if I want to take up a fibre broadband package with an ISP such as BT or Vodaphone who can supply it.

As talktalk have not contacted me  and according to a previous article, have their own Solutions and wiring down in the exchange, I presume that my copper wiring will still be working

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Our-Blog/Copper-Telephone-Network-Switch-Off-What-does-it-mean-f...

So does that mean that fibre and copper will still be running alongside each other.?  What happens in the cabinet at the end of my street? Will TT just wait until my contract runs out to tell me that when I come to renew it will have to be on a full fibre deal?  Or if all the copper wiring is to be ripped out of the cabinet will I suddenly find that my copper connection only goes so far as the pole and doesnt work?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

@cobaltblue, our streets are getting filled up with Fibre infrastructure. Several companies are doing it.

As before, you fix it up through your ISP, not Openreach,  Freedom Fibre, Cityfibre etc.

So nothing to do with BT unless you wish to order and switch to them.

Talktalk may not have a deal with Fibre Solutions. 

Many of us only have copper ADSL just now. If Talktalk wish to upgrade you, they'll let you know. 

You have the option to take up a service with Virgin or any available ISP when your contract expires. Before the last month of the contract, you would be liable for an early termination fee for switching early.

Talktalk may offer a free upgrade before then, if available and whether it was a hub 2 with the extra phone socket or using the Eero depends on the deal. You'd have to request VOIP to keep the use of your telephone number. 

Further information is available here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Why-Fibre-isn-t-available-in-your-area/ta-p/2205414

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes