cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

upgrade to 4k box

BenWarwick
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Hi there

Hoping Karl or somebody else perhaps can help with this query. I have requested to take the new 4k TV box as part of a contract refresh. I understand that I will lose the Youview Plus recording ability but that a Firestick or similiar would enable me to record (with limitations I gather surrounding the fact you can only record the programme being watched).  For info I have the Fibre 35 contract (downloads of around 23mb per second) 

I have specific questions you might be able to help me with;

1) The blurb refers to the fact that the 4k TV box connects wirelessly to the router for streaming. But can I continue to use my current set-up which is a combination of hard wiring and powerlines? To briefly explain my router is in an outbuilding at the back of the house and I use the house wiring to stream content via hardwiring from desktop computer to powerline and then a section of wiring near the lounge in the front room. A totally wireless connection would be unlikely to work because of wi-fi problems associated with the distance and walls etc..... It seems obvious that the above would not be a problem but better check. 

2) Will I need to change any of the IP address/default gateway settings in the TV box as I used to do for the YouView box? 

3) I am switching from Sky Sports via a Now subscription to a direct subscription with TalkTalk for simplicity of billing.  I gather this is straightforward - can you confirm. 

3) As a supplementary question. If I separately contract for TNT Sports, I understand that an option is to purchase a Firestick to download the app and watch it seamlessly. I used to cast livestream by an HGMI connection from TV to laptop but due to wifi reception problems in my front room it wasn't always reliable.  

many thanks! Ben 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

HI

No way to defer a new contract once they have applied it, however they can re-add the now sports option if it is not activated. Alternatively, you can chat with NOW TV and ask them to cancel your current subscription immediately and let them know why, and they usually will accommodate. When you are ready of course.

Karl    

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

BenWarwick
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

What I meant was that I have negotiated a new contract already to include the Now Sports that seems very fair. I haven't given the go-ahead to the new contract yet.  However I wondered if you knew if I could defer the start of any such new contract so that I can continue to watch Now Sports via the direct app until the contract expired on Oct 21?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi,

you can renew the contract when ready, it does not automatically renew, however any discounts you have running for the life of your previous contract would end, so you may see a small increase in your bill next month, but any discounts you negotiate when renewing your contract will help.

Remember to negotiate when you renew, don't just settle for thee first thing they offer, chat with the agent and ask what else they can do for you.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

BenWarwick
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

Sorry Karl, one more supplementary question. My renewal is October 21 so do you happen to know if I can delay the start date of a new contract I have discussed with TalkTalk better value team (which includes Now Sport) so that I continue to watch via Now and only cancel in the run up to the TalkTalk start date? Thought I'd ask before re-contacting them. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

BenWarwick
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Really good advice, thanks. Yes of course I take your point re. the firestick that I would probably have the same wifi issue as with casting from a laptop. Thanks again - I have somebody calling from TT sales later this afternoon re. the new contract so your replies to questions are really useful. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Hi

Yes, if you check your NOW TV account directly you can find out when the billing period ends, so for example, if it ends on the 6th of the month, if you cancel it now, you can then add this via TalkTalk around the 3rd, to give you time to get the activation email, then add it to your existing account as the other comes to an end.

You can use the TNT app on the firestick, but depending on where you locate it, you could have wifi issues if the signal is weak.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

BenWarwick
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi Karl

Thanks for quick reply.

So if I can cancel the NOW Sports subscription now I presume that I wouldn't be charged for next month - is that right? And then I could hopefully activate the TalkTalk Now Sports boost pretty quickly I guess. 

My question re. the firestick is simply that as I understand it downloading the TNT Sports App onto the firestick would give a more reliable streaming service than trying to cast from my laptop to the TV which as I said is prone to breaking up as a result of my weak wifi link problems because of distance to the router. I guess that would be the case wouldn't it? Obviously I would have to purchase a firestick on top of the ongoing subscription. 

Frankly speaking I think a BT package including Sky sports and TNT sports would be a cheaper option (slightly) but loathe to abandon TalkTalk really as have been a mainly happy customer for more years than care to remember! 

many thanks again 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi

The 4K Box is wifi and wired, so you can use either method for connection and should have no issues.

You should not need to change any settings.

Taking a Now subscription via TalkTalk is straightforward however there are some caveats that people do not consider, the main one being, that NOW bill in advance, so if you have a current subscription, and you cancel this, it will not stop immediately but continue to run until the end of the billing cycle.  As you really only have 7 days to use the activation link that is sent to you, I would either cancel Now in advance, or hold off on Taking the subscription via TalkTalk until near the end of the NOW billing cycle.

Not sure what your asking in your last question, as we do not issue firesticks etc, but if your asking about the option of casting via the 4K box, this would not be possible.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes