cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

2 eero 6 questions. is it possible to disable the wifi? is it possible to replace this thing?

StillTryingIt
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I'm a new customer but itll be a short lived stay of 0 days if I cant disable the wifi on this thing or replace it with a better router with that option.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

To be honest there isn't really any specific 3rd party router that I can recommend but other members are more than welcome to offer their recommendations

Chris

Message 2 of 14

IS there any particular brand you have seen people have the least trouble with?

I understand you cannot recommend anything but you must have heard support queries for some more than others.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Yes you can certainly use a 3rd party router if you prefer, many customers do.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Thank you for the quick replies here!

I should be able to buy a third party router and plug that into the ONT outlet shouldnt I?  In the same way I would be connecting an eero.

I've seen some search results from others that have done this and it with mixed results.  I signed up for a data only plan and the people who seem to have the most problems are those trying to add voice.

edit.  its a shame about the eero only option, itll never come out of its delivery package

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

I've received confirmation that unfortunately you can't switch wifi off on the eero. Theoretically you could just connect a switch to the ONT and it should work but we wouldn't advise you to do this as there are security implications if not using a gateway device or firewall

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

If I can disable the wifi on the eero it means I just need to get an ethernet switch rather than a new router, which will make not cancelling anything way more likely.

Until the end of this month cancelling should still be free as itll be within 30 days of the order, if I can find a reasonably priced third party router that works there wont be any need to cancel and I'd much rather stick with talktalk than go through the process of waiting for another provider.  If its too expensive it would be stupid to stay though.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi

I've just checked with Chris, we are just waiting on further information on the wifi/eero question.

Message 8 of 14

Any response on the WiFi question?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

OK thanks. We always recommend that you use the equipment supplied by us but you can use a 3rd party router if you prefer

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Health concerns mainly but also more consistent performance over ethernet for multiple devices.

When you've worked with industrial radio equipment for years and almost all of your colleagues have had cancer issues, the choice of living with equipment of equivalent power at home is a choice I'd rather not have forced on me.

Can you also check if using a third party router is ok?  If I can find one that's reasonably priced I won't cancel.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 14

Hi StillTryingIt,

I'm just trying to find out if you can disable wifi in the eero, I'll let you know when I find out. Could I just ask, is there any particular reason why you want to turn the wifi off?

Chris

0 Likes

StillTryingIt
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Anyone have reasonably priced router suggestions?  Need at least 3 ethernet ports + ability to turn off wifi?

I have 2 weeks to cancel talk talk for free if the only suggestions are expensive, I signed up to the 150 package 

0 Likes

StillTryingIt
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

I have done searches on this btw, just found mixed answers.

0 Likes