cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Openreach engineer rejected installation - options?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Evening. Sorry, this is going to be a long winded one.

I was meant to have full fiber installed at my flat today. I’m renting the upper half of a house and the lower half is owned by someone else. 

The engineer said that the access point from the street happens to be next to downstairs’ part of the garden, so even if I have my landlords permission I also need it from whoever owns that bit of land.

Downstairs was recently sold to someone, and nobody is occupying the place. I did meet someone who was related to the owner this morning, but that was before I knew I needed to talk to him! I don’t know how long I’m going to have to wait for them to show up again while I’m here (I’m a 9-5er).

Anyway, my question is this:

Is there another way to get internet in the meantime, say basic fibre? Only problem with that is we don’t have a phone socket in the flat… I’m not sure if I’d run into the same problems trying to get that installed? We have an aerial cable?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi connorp0403

I'm sorry to hear this. If the engineer has been unable to obtain permission from the land owner then installation wont be able to go ahead.

If you contact our Loyalty Team then they can discuss your contract and the next steps. Apologies again for this.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

They said that without explicit permission from the owner of that part of the garden that they won’t carry out the installation as they don’t want it coming back on them.

I’m convinced that the owner will let out the property, meaning that I will not see much of them and I’d have to get the tenants to contact them for me (through an agency). It’s hard to know for sure but unless the owner moves in and soon, I’m not going to have internet for the foreseeable future.

Therefore it might be in my best interest to cancel my contract so I don’t pay for nothing. I’m aware that I may be able to be compensated for the time since install date that I’m without internet, however I don’t know if it counts since the engineers haven’t even installed a line.

If you have any advice for me based on what I’ve told you then great. If not then I get it, I know this isn’t something that is in TalkTalk’s hands.

Connor

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

OK thanks. What exactly did the engineer say, did the engineer say anything about what would happen next? I think if you currently have no line then you would have the same issue getting a standard landline installed

Chris

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Hi Chris,

Im an existing TalkTalk customer moving from a previous address. I have been with them for 2 years.

Connor

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi connorp0403,

Just to confirm, are you an existing TalkTalk customer moving to a new address or are you a new TalkTalk customer?

Chris

0 Likes