cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Persistent internet outages since city fibre upgrade

ang85
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 41

Our new full fibre line was installed on the 31st of January and since then we’ve had nothing but headache, I have reset all my gadgets and appliances more times than I care to remember and even when they reconnect its not before long that they have issues. Our old line using the copper wiring didn’t have these problems and even after contacting TT and getting them to attempt to rectify the problem this only lasted a couple of hours, it’s now got to the point that I’ve payed extra money for data on my mobile phone plan just to use the internet, as there is none persistently at home… Need some help asap, as I’m not going to keep paying for a service I’m not receiving  

0 Likes
40 REPLIES 40

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 41

Hi @ang85 

I don't expect that the Netgear is faulty at all, I suspect that its configuration is clashing in some way with the Sagemcom 5464. However, as I have no idea how either has been configured, this won't be easy.

First off though, I think that you said that the Netgear is configured in Access Point mode. Looking at the user guide for it, I assume that it connects to the 5464 via an Ethernet cable or powerline adapters, not via the 5464's Wi-Fi? If so, roughly where in your property are both of these units located & how are they connected together?

I did offer to send you a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.  Once I know the answers to my questions above, I will probably need to send this to you via a PM. Then I will need you to reconnect the Netgear for a short while, whilst I get you to gather the diagnostic information for me. Then it can be temporarily disconnected again.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 41

Thanks for this @ang85.

I have just downloaded the user guide & I will try & get back to you later this afternoon.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 3 of 41

Thank you for your help once again 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 41

IMG_0118.png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 41

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Our posts have just crossed the ether!

Keith

Message 6 of 41
0 Likes

Message 7 of 41

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the update. @KeithFrench do you have any ideas on this please?

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 41

Hi @ang85 

Please can you give me a model number for this Netgear extender, then I should be able to answer this question?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 41

Hi there, just an update, once I moved the hifi speaker there was still an underlying issue and I’ve managed to track it down to a NETGEAR WiFi extender/access point we have connected to some equipment as an access point.

we tested this theory several times and that seems to be the issue with our WiFi disconnecting, so we’ve just disconnected it for now.

Any ideas why that would happen? 

thank you

0 Likes

Message 10 of 41

Hi ang85

How are you getting on, how's the connection been?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 41
0 Likes

Message 12 of 41

I’ll let you know what happens over the next couple of days. Thank you 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 41

Yes try & then let me know.

Keith

Message 14 of 41

Hi ang85,

Would you like me to disable wifi optimisation or leave it until you've tested with hifi/speaker relocation?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 41

We could trial the connection for a few days to see if it works ok, what do you think?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 41

One of the speakers was fairly close to the hub, we had a reshuffle about the same time, the hub didn’t move but now thinking about we moved the hifi, didn’t think about it at the time as the hub and its components weren’t moved. I don’t mind disabling WiFi optimisation if you think it will help? I have in the mean time completely unplugged and removed the hifi as it was the only electrical device near the hub apart from a side lamp 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 41

You can't enable or disable wifi optimisation yourself, only TalkTalk can do this for you. Hence why I suggested that you ask them to disable it for you in your reply. Have the problems only happened then since moving the HiFi, or more particularly its speakers, as if too close then they will cause electrical interference, rather than WiFi interference?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 41

Haven’t touched the settings on the hub at all, just reset it tons… the only thing I just thought of was the hifi system was moved closer to the hub could this cause issues?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 41

Thanks for that info @ang85 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364/5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 20 of 41

Also just to clarify, we haven’t moved the hub since the installation of the full fibre and it’s been the same place for many years previously without much issue. 

0 Likes