cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Router Problem with 5g

js270575
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

The 5Ghz network on my router keeps stopping and my speed then drops by about half. I have to restart the router to get it back up and the speed then restores.  I have logged in to the router and it looks to be up but it is not visible to any of my devices. This happens at least once a week.

Its a Sagemcom Router.

Serial NumberHardware VersionSoftware VersionGUI VersionSystem Up Time

N7230319K007906
FAST5464 2.00
SG4K100174
6d 14h55m06s
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning,

No problem 🙂 Please let us know if you need any assistance.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

js270575
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9
Hi Debbie,
All ok at the moment,  I can't pin down when the problem occurs but i'll monitor it and if/when it does, I will update you.
Thanks
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi @js270575 

How's the connection been since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

Hi @js270575 unless this sorts the problem, please collate the screenshots I have requested in my guide & PM them to me to preserve your privacy.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 9

Hi @js270575 

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks @KeithFrench 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 9

I have asked TalkTalk to disable WiFi Optimisation for you, they will post on here when done, but I don't expect it will be until after tomorrow.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

js270575
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Hi Keith,

Please can I request to disable Wifi optimisation as i dont believe its been disables before. Also please could you send me the guide 

thankyou

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes