cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Landline crackling noise, cause unknown

Crackle170224
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 2

Help! TalkTalk Community superstar help required.

My landline has a continuous crackling noise, it can be heard from the test socket of an Openreach Master Socket 5C. It has been heard by an Openreach engineer who could not explain the continuous crackling noise, tests were run from my home and the engineer told me he was going to the exchange to check all was correct with its equipment.

The continuous crackling noise occurs on two different phones, they are both powered solely by the landline. The continuous crackling noise is on the landline even when the electricity in my home is turned off.

This crackling at times overwhelms the landline which has disconnected a caller. The caller tried again and their voice was distorting/echoing so they hung up and tried again obtaining a better connection.

Some calls are very difficult for me to follow due to the continuous crackling noise. Landline calls are now as bad as mobile phone ones. The mobile signal here is 28%, I am used to having a clear line. TalkTalk tells me the line is clear when tested.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the cause of a continuous crackling noise on a landline that tests clear?

Is there an acceptable amount of noise on a landline? 

Can a number of acceptable faults [test passed] combine to create a continuous crackling noise on a landline?

Openreach in the past has mentioned REIN [Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise]. Does anyone have experience of REIN? Does the continuous crackling noise on my landline match REIN?

My home is connected by an overhead wire to a telegraph pole outside my next door neighbours garden. The wire then goes underground to an Openreach cabinet outside the next house. My service is Fibre 65, there is another much larger Openreach cabinet across the path from the other one.

I live close to a very large National Grid substation. Large cables come from the substation towards my house, they are in the ground alongside those from the Openreach exchange. The Nation Grid cables make a 90 degree turn and run past both Openreach cabinets.

I am losing hope that TalkTalk/Openreach will solve this landline fault.

Are there tests that Openreach could use to help me that perhaps are not generally applied?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 2

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. We've posted on your other topic. Please can you continue with your previous topic and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes