NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk2go app closing 31st October

dappodan1
Whizz Kid
Message 75 of 78

Hello,
At TalkTalk, we’re constantly reviewing our services. And unfortunately, on
31 October 2017 we’ll be closing down the Talk2Go app.
But the good news is – if you’re planning on going abroad, you can now use your included mobile minutes, texts and data allowance in 48 European countries, just as you can back home. So there’s nothing to stop you staying in touch on your travels.
We’ll send you a quick reminder to delete the Talk2Go app nearer the time.

0 Likes
77 REPLIES 77

Message 61 of 78

@dappodan1 wrote:

For all the conspiracy theorists who said TT purposely prevented new registrations, to prevent revenue leakage from people using the app with boost usage and thereby not incurring mobile charges. Looks like you are proven right.

I stuck with TT for 12 years as a customer in the last few wholly because of talk2go and the 500 minutes boost. Now these have been removed I will be moving elsewhere. 

A technology and and communications company which stops innovating is one thing but to regress by removing services and innovation is the death knell.  Last one out switch off The lights RIP TT

Well said & I totally agree. More male bovine excrement from TT

"Why are you closing the service?

We regularly review our products and services and will be removing the Talk2Go app as part of our ongoing improvement programme. We remain committed to giving customers great value for money; they can still chat for less with our Calling Circle and range of Call Boosts"

0 Likes

Message 62 of 78

For all the conspiracy theorists who said TT purposely prevented new registrations, to prevent revenue leakage from people using the app with boost usage and thereby not incurring mobile charges. Looks like you are proven right.

I stuck with TT for 12 years as a customer in the last few wholly because of talk2go and the 500 minutes boost. Now these have been removed I will be moving elsewhere. 

A technology and and communications company which stops innovating is one thing but to regress by removing services and innovation is the death knell.  Last one out switch off The lights RIP TT

Message 63 of 78

People forget that there are many places even within the UK that don't get a good mobile signal. The Norfolk coast that I was at recently is a good example. No amount of inclusive minutes will help.

but the good news is I have never had a better signal than when abroad emoticon.quiet.title

0 Likes

Message 64 of 78

Received an email from Talk Talk, today 2/10/2017 saying that the Talk2go service will be closing down on 31st October 2017. Email included a link which redirected to here - https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/talk2go-faqs

It would seem that any further posts regarding Talk2go will need a new heading - "Apps we have to live without"

"In October we're closing down our Talk2Go app and its services. After this time you may want to delete it from your phone. 

Why are you closing the service?

We regularly review our products and services and will be removing the Talk2Go app as part of our ongoing improvement programme. We remain committed to giving customers great value for money; they can still chat for less with our Calling Circle and range of Call Boosts

When will the service close?

The app service will close on October 31st meaning, after that time you'll no longer be able to make calls via the app. 

Will I still be able to download the app?

No. The app will no longer be available to download from the app Store or Google Play after October 1st. 

I have allowed Talk2Go to access my contacts, will the app still have access? 

No. The app only requests to access your contacts so that they can be added, contacted or edited through the app. This is done locally on your device, Talk2Go has no visibility of this. 

I have allowed Talk2Go to access my microphone in the past, will this remain enabled?

No. All Talk2Go app features are done locally on your device. Once the app is closed Talk2Go will have no access to your phone. 

I had planned to use Talk2Go on holiday. How else can I manage the cost of using my mobile abroad?

If you are a TalkTalk mobile customer, take a look at our easy guide here to use your phone on holiday.  With Roam Like at Home, you'll be able to use your phone across 48 European destinations at no extra cost. For terms and conditions including the full list of countries see here

Are there any alternatives to Talk2Go that I can use?

Yes, the good news is that there are lots of other ways for you to chat for less. On your mobile, you can use, Skype, WhatsApp and Vonage. On your TalkTalk landline you can also sign up for Calling Circle and Call Boosts.

In October we're closing down our Talk2Go app and its services. After this time you may want to delete it from your phone. 

Why are you closing the service?

We regularly review our products and services and will be removing the Talk2Go app as part of our ongoing improvement programme. We remain committed to giving customers great value for money; they can still chat for less with our Calling Circle and range of Call Boosts

When will the service close?

The app service will close on October 31st meaning, after that time you'll no longer be able to make calls via the app. 

Will I still be able to download the app?

No. The app will no longer be available to download from the app Store or Google Play after October 1st. 

I have allowed Talk2Go to access my contacts, will the app still have access? 

No. The app only requests to access your contacts so that they can be added, contacted or edited through the app. This is done locally on your device, Talk2Go has no visibility of this. 

I have allowed Talk2Go to access my microphone in the past, will this remain enabled?

No. All Talk2Go app features are done locally on your device. Once the app is closed Talk2Go will have no access to your phone. 

I had planned to use Talk2Go on holiday. How else can I manage the cost of using my mobile abroad?

If you are a TalkTalk mobile customer, take a look at our easy guide here to use your phone on holiday.  With Roam Like at Home, you'll be able to use your phone across 48 European destinations at no extra cost. For terms and conditions including the full list of countries see here

Are there any alternatives to Talk2Go that I can use?

Yes, the good news is that there are lots of other ways for you to chat for less. On your mobile, you can use, Skype, WhatsApp and Vonage. On your TalkTalk landline you can also sign up for Calling Circle and Call Boosts."

0 Likes

david888
Conversation Starter
Message 65 of 78

@skygrowler wrote:

But the good news is – if you’re planning on going abroad, you can now use your included mobile minutes, texts and data allowance in 48 European countries, just as you can back home. So there’s nothing to stop you staying in touch on your travels.

unless you have booked with Monarch !

People forget that there are many places even within the UK that don't get a good mobile signal. The Norfolk coast that I was at recently is a good example. No amount of inclusive minutes will help.

Message 66 of 78

That added bit about using your mobile abroad is pretty stupid, based on the assumption that everyone uses TalkTalk Mobile.

Message 67 of 78

unless you have booked with Monarch !

0 Likes

Message 68 of 78

@rabssm wrote:

Talk2Go always worked quite well for me and I liked that I could make calls and receive calls to my landline for no charge from anywhere in the world with a Wifi signal.

Now that Talktalk are removing this handy feature and have effectively changed our contract terms and conditions, do we get a reduction in our bills?

emoticon.joytears.titleemoticon.joytears.titleemoticon.joytears.title sorry , i just couldn't help it emoticon.joytears.title

0 Likes

Message 69 of 78

You're right @maniben this is nothing to do with how TalkTalk provide mobile services. It is a shame to lose such a useful feature, although I have to say I personally only turned to it occasionally, typically when I was out in the wilds somewhere without a mobile signal, but with a wifi service at hand. Even so I will miss it at such times in the future. I can only guess that TalkTalk's own metrics have shown that supporting the app, which has clearly been problematic, is not cost-effective when measured against the amount of use it gets.

0 Likes

Message 70 of 78
Having said all of the above, we were also given to understand by the Mobile division operatives that this app was part of the broadband team offerings and nothing to do with them (Mobile team). SO if TT are panning the Mobile division, it shouldnt theortically affect the offerings of the app. Also, it was never a condition of the app to mandatorily use only TT mobile sims to avail this benefit. Hence doesnt make sense to withdraw this app. Doesnt cost TT much more to support this, given that it has just been revived for people to be able to register and use effectively. Revenue neutral IMO. Someone pulling the wrong strings in TT towers.
0 Likes

david888
Conversation Starter
Message 71 of 78

I also got the email to say the service is going away at the end of the month. A pity as the app has worked pretty well for me

0 Likes

Message 72 of 78

@rabssm As it wasn't a paid-for feature, nor a part of core services as defined by Ofcom then I somewhow doubt it.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 73 of 78

Can you just make clear where that statement comes from, as it stands it could appear to the uninitiated reader as if you are making an announcement on behalf of TalkTalk! 

0 Likes

rabssm
Conversation Starter
Message 74 of 78

Talk2Go always worked quite well for me and I liked that I could make calls and receive calls to my landline for no charge from anywhere in the world with a Wifi signal.

Now that Talktalk are removing this handy feature and have effectively changed our contract terms and conditions, do we get a reduction in our bills?

Message 76 of 78

are talking about the "no longer free" sim that has now changed from "as long as you are a broadband customer" to " for the length of your contract " for £3 emoticon.joytears.title

0 Likes

Message 77 of 78
No such luck for me, yet. (Tempting the devil, here) Maybe you moaned too much? I guess it is the end, given that bulk of TT mobile customers were the freebie ones, they have to wind down before agreeing the sale. NO new buyer would want the baggage of free Sim loaders on their books, nor service them because TT said so ! Interesting times ahead. Out of interest, would anyone hazard a guess about the true number of paying subscribers (out of the 913,000 in their books) ?
0 Likes

Message 78 of 78

I have just had an email telling me Talk2go is being closed down at the end of the month ,is this the beginning of the end ? 

0 Likes