cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

4K Box alternative

Odd_17
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Hi - can anyone advise if there is an alternative to the pretty useless 4K TV box we have been issued or is it time to switch providers?

Not being able to pause live TV and not being able to record a different channel to the one I am watching are proving to be deal breakers for me. 

Thanks in advance 

7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi @MikeH2024 
If you have a problem please start your own thread as each case is considered unique and it is easier for support to be given to one person per thread and also less confusing.
To start your thread click the Browse button, then Help With Your Service and select the appropriate category. You will then see a Blue Button "Start A Topic"
Please also note that you should only post back on that thread and not start another on the same topic as multiple posts cause delay to you and others seeking help.
Thank you

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

MikeH2024
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

So glad this isn’t just me!  TalkTalk are a joke..

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

Sorry, we seem to be at cross purposes: press pause when interrupted and then press play to resume? 

0 Likes

Odd_17
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 8

Yes, when the phone rings or when there’s someone at the door etc. 

the times when you would like to pause TV so you don’t miss something 😄

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

Press pause when the phone rings?

0 Likes

Odd_17
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your response. I do have a separate aerial in my TV actually but this box seems like a huge step backwards in terms of function.

I have tried so many times with the time shift option but I just can’t get it to work for me & tbh who remembers to press pause every time they change channel just in case the phone rings! 

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

There is an alternative in the TV Hub, but that has no recording facility at all.

Have you split your aerial lead so you have a separate one going to the TV? This will allow you to watch the TV while the box is recording. Aerial splitters and cables are quite cheap and can be purchased from places such as Amazon or supermarkets.

As for rewinding, the box uses something called time shift. To get this to work you need to press pause when watching a channel and then play after a couple of seconds. You can then rewind to the point you pressed the pause button. You have to do this each time you change channel.

There are alternatives such as Freeview Play boxes and the BT Pro Box (which BT customers have sold or are selling on) that can be bought quite cheaply too which record more than 1 channel while watching another.

Hope this helps.

Btw, recording boxes are getting scarcer from internet providers and are I think, limited to BT, Virgin and Sky and their associated higher costs.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes