cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

3rd party router

hallda12
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 2

Hi guys,

Just purchased a 3rd party router to improve lan transfer and game streaming speeds. I’d like to think I’m quite IT literate but when it comes to networking my knowledge sadly comes short.

So I currently have the wifi hub router/modem supplied by talk talk and want to swap it for my new Asus router. Is it possible to set my tt hub to modem only and then use my Asus as the access point?

if so and also if not, what steps to I have to take to get my new router up and running?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

No, the TT router cannot be put into modem mode, but that is not really a problem. If you set the TT router back to the default configuration, then make sure that your Asus is on an IP address something like 192.168.2.1, so it is on a different IP network to the TT router, which defaults to 192.168.1.1. Make sure that the DHCP servers are left enabled in both routers.

Now connect one of the LAN ports in the TT router to a WAN port in the Asus & all should work.

This will leave the two routers in a double NAT scenario, but this is only a problem if you require to do any port forwarding, but that is hardly difficult, I could help you every step of the way.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes