cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

BBand speed fallen well below 21.5 Mb/s guaranteed speed

exBT2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 51

Hi, BB speed fallen to 15-16 Mb/s and there is a buzzing noise during conversation on my telephone line. The router has been reset and the line noise is present with a phone plugged into the internal master socket (with router disconnected)! The BB speed has been measured using ethernet connection, not wifi.

A on-line line test shows a fault present which could not be identified and a reference given - REP-13645566. I am now locked out of further tests. 

Can you please tell me what happens next, do I have to wait for fault to be investigated? Or any other procedure? It's not clear from the test result info what follows.

Thank you,

Mike.

0 Likes
50 REPLIES 50

Message 22 of 51

Thanks, will do and report back later.

Message 23 of 51

Hi again,

I'm glad to hear this 🙂 When it's next convenient it may be worth trying the router back at the main socket with the faceplate re-connected to see if the speeds remain consistent in this set up too.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 24 of 51

Hi Michelle,  Thanks, speed has remained at 23.562Mb/s connected at the test socket.

Mike.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 51

Good morning,

Just checking back in to see how the connection/speed has been since your last post?

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 26 of 51
0 Likes

Message 27 of 51

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 51

That was quick 🙂 It might be worth monitoring for a few days at the test socket just to see if the speeds remain consistent. If they do then I'd recommend re-connecting the faceplate and testing back at the main socket just to see how it compares. Would this be ok?

Thanks again

Michelle

Message 29 of 51

Thanks,  ok, all plugged into test socket and speed now showing 23.562 Mb/s !

I have no extension phones.

Message 30 of 51

Great thank you. I will re-check your connection stats again first thing on Wednesday morning and will post another update.

Thanks

Michelle

exBT2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 51

Ah, I see, will do now.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 51

Hi again,

Sorry my bad, I should have added that the phone can be connected to the microfilter too. Would this be ok?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 33 of 51

But that will leave me with no phone service for 24-48 hours!

Openreach did change the master socket by the way, said it was routine.

0 Likes

Message 34 of 51

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to re-connect the router back at the test socket for 24-48hrs just to see if DLM makes any changes to the speed in this set up please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 35 of 51

No, router is connected normally, through filter.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 51

Morning,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry that the speeds haven't improved. I've re-run the line test now which is clear. I can see that the speed started to increase but has dropped down again. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 37 of 51

Hi, Yes I powered down for almost an hour yesterday, just checked speed to router is 18.261 Mb/s, below the guaranteed speed.

The line fault has apparently been cleared, no noise on phone line now.

Thanks for following up,

Regards,

Mike.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 51

Morning,

How are you getting on? Did you have a chance to try the 30 minute router power down?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

exBT2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 51

Thank you, will do and see what transpires next week.

Regards,

Mike

Message 40 of 51

Try switching off the router for a full 30 minutes to start a new session at the exchange, @exBT2.

If work really has been done and it's sorted, speeds should show an improvement. 

Then leave it on until staff reach the thread after the weekend, to give speeds more time to improve. 

Sometimes fault tickets fall off, however, regardless of whether it's sorted or not.....!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes