cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband speed dropped after new contract

Ken-Thorp
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

Can anyone give me a technical explanation why the upload speed of my line dropped from 24Mbps to 21.8Mbps at exactly the time I contracted for a further 18 months of service.

The speed has been regularly checked using the dashboard inside the Router.

The line has a physical maximum speed of 26.5Mbps.

An Openreach engineer, after a fault fixing visit recently, confirmed the speed (just prior to re-contract) at 24Mbps and he thought this reasonable for our district.

The advertising for Fibre 35 says speeds up to 38Mbps.

I am waiting a deadlock letter (CMP-221370) so I can take this to CISAS and the Advertising Standards Agency.

I have been in the industry since 1969, from Engineer to Quality Director for a Multi-National Computer supplier.

I am an 'Old Fart' but still retain my marbles.

So WHY did this happen?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5
@Ken-Thorp wrote:

What I asked for was a valid explanation not some company waffle. This is not improving my view of TalkTalk.

@Ken-Thorp ,

Firstly, I'd like to make it clear to you that I do not work for TalkTalk. I am a customer of TalkTalk just as you are so anything I say is not "company waffle", it is my own independent knowledge, advice and opinion.

If you are at the stage of waiting for a deadlock letter, I'm guessing you must have gone through the whole TalkTalk complaints procedure so I'm not sure how much further assistance staff on here will be able to give you, but if you do want staff to comment it would be a good idea to make sure your forum profile is updated with your personal details and your TalkTalk landline number in order that they are able to access your account (don't post personal details on the open forum though).

Bear in mind also though that they generally don't work weekends and may have a backlog to get through when they return to work on Monday so it may take a few days for them to reply.

@Ken-Thorp wrote:

The line was working at 24Mbps then was deliberately dropped to 22Mbps 

I can't answer why your speed dropped slightly but I am sure that it was nothing to do with renewing your contract. If you were on Fibre35 before and are still on Fibre35 after renewal, no changes will have been made to your service. In fact, I am certain that TalkTalk do not have the ability to deliberately drop your speed by 2Mbps even if they wanted to (and I can't think of any reason or benefit to them for them to want to do that). You will get as fast as your line will support (subject to the Fibre35 profile limits of 40/10Mbps download/upload), as simple as that.

The only thing that is likely to deliberately make changes to the speed on your line is Openreach's automatic DLM (Dynamic Line Management) system which monitors errors, connection drops etc and will make adjustments to the line profile to increase stability (at the expense of sacrificing some speed) if it detects problems.

have you been seeing a lot of connection drops recently?

Can you hear any noise (or more than usual) on the landline?

Having said all that, a change as small as 2Mbps doesn't really sound to me like DLM action either. It could just be that the last time your router was rebooted, and had to re-sync there was slightly more noise on the line at that time so it negotiated a slightly slower sync speed. If you look in the router's DSL stats page, can you see a difference in the SNR margins from what they were before?

It could be if you re-boot the router at a "quiet" time it may sync up again at a slightly faster speed. I don't know, I'm just suggesting it as something I might try if I were in your position. If you do try that though, I would advise switching the router off for at least half an hour before switching it back on and don't do it too often so as not to trigger DLM action by tricking it into thinking your line is dropping connection.

@Ken-Thorp wrote:

The advertising is absolutely misleading as I hope to prove to advertising standards. 

Sorry, but I don't agree that that many people would be mislead into thinking that stated maximum speeds supported by a package and claimed "average" speeds are some sort of guarantee as to what every customer will get.

I'm not sure how you think they should promote the package speed in a general advert, as they have no way of knowing what speed any individual customer's line can support until it is checked when they make an enquiry to sign up.

Like I said before, when you sign up as a new customer or go to renew as an existing customer, they should quote you a predicted range and your own personal guaranteed minimum speed for your line before you agree to the contract.

If you are unsure what your guaranteed minimum is, it should be quoted on the speed test page of the "service centre", accessible through "My Account".

those figures will be based on Openreach's estimates for your line. If you like, you could also look up your address on the BT Openreach line checker here BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) which should give you a rough idea of the speed your line should be able to support, but you still have to remember that it is just an estimate as so many factors could affect the condition of your line.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

I totally agree that I should have referred to 'Download' speed absolutely my error indeed, after which everything else you say is patently wrong. The line was working at 24Mbps then was deliberately dropped to 22Mbps an 8% reduction through no natural cause. The advertising is absolutely misleading as I hope to prove to advertising standards. Why should I have expected anything less than the 24 Mbps I was already receiving when the blurb said up to 38Mbps.  What I asked for was a valid explanation not some company waffle. This is not improving my view of TalkTalk.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

@Ken-Thorp wrote:

Can anyone give me a technical explanation why the upload speed of my line dropped from 24Mbps to 21.8Mbps at exactly the time I contracted for a further 18 months of service.

@Ken-Thorp , Assuming you have just renewed on the same package you were on before, it is simply a billing issue and should have no physical effect on your connection speed.

You mention that you are on Fibre35, which has a maximum upload sync speed of 10Mbps, so I assume you are actually talking about download speed?

@Ken-Thorp wrote:

An Openreach engineer, after a fault fixing visit recently, confirmed the speed (just prior to re-contract) at 24Mbps and he thought this reasonable for our district.

The advertising for Fibre 35 says speeds up to 38Mbps.

I am waiting a deadlock letter (CMP-221370) so I can take this to CISAS and the Advertising Standards Agency.

The important point to note in the advertising is "up to".

The Fibre35 package is limited to a maximum sync speed of 40Mbps, which should give about 38Mbps actual download throughput, but they are not guaranteeing you will get those speeds. The speed you will get depends not on your "district", but on the condition and (most importantly) the length of the copper line from your house to the cabinet. When you sign up or renew to a new contract you should be advised of the predicted download speed range and your individual guaranteed minimum speed for your service before you agree to the contract.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

There is no way that a contract renewal will have had any effect on your connection. What is is your minimum guaranteed speed?

0 Likes