cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN stopped working with Sagemcom SG4K100136

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Hello I have been having trouble connecting to a VPN when connected to my TalkTalk WiFi (but exact same VPN on same device does work over 4G connection) - my router is a Sagemcom and it's on firmware version SG4K100136. I noticed others on here reported the same issue and your support team was able to fix it by installing a different firmware - can you fix mine? BTW is it a newer firmware you install to fix it or a rollback to an older one, and will I still automatically get future firmware updates? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hello,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Things are working correctly again now even if the firewall is set to High. Thank you.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 6

Hi cotmire

Apologies for this.

I've made a change to your router firmware, please can you retest and let us know how the connection compares?

Thanks

0 Likes

cotmire
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

I'm having the issue with NordVPN – I've tried using it from Windows 10, Android and iOS and got the same problem on all 3, however as soon as I switch to a 4G connection or to a different WiFi network it works fine.

Looking into this further, it actually seems to be a wider issue with connecting to anything that doesn't use the most common standard ports. e.g. applications using port 80, 443, 21, 22, 465, 995 all work fine, but applications that use non-standard ports do not. e.g. I cannot fully connect to a passive FTP server as that uses ports between 30000-50000, I cannot access any cPanel/WHM web hosting dashboard pages as that uses HTTPS over ports 2083 and 2087, I cannot use Speedtest.net as that uses port 8080. I can connect to SSH on port 22 but not if it uses a non-standard port e.g. 2222. Discord audio won't connect as is uses ports between 45000-60000.

This was all working last week and I've not tinkered with the router settings in recent weeks. I did take a look at my router's Firewall setting just now though which has always been set on High. I tried changing it to Medium and then all my problems went away. It has definitely always been set to High though and never been a problem - maybe it is an error with the implementation of the High setting in the current firmware - or is it actually that High never worked correctly before and now does?

If there is a newer firmware available that we can try, any time you can commence installing it would be fine, I understand it may take 15 minutes.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi @cotmire,

Can you confirm what VPN software you use, or is it just the built in Windows 10/11 VPN ?

That version of firmware does not play nicely with the built in Windows 10/11 VPN, so if that is what you are using the support team here will be able to resolve the issue for you. They will hopefully be able to reply tomorrow.

0 Likes