New Contributor
rappy30

D-Link DSL 3780 Port Forwarding

Anybody had success setting-up Port Forwarding on this router?  I need port forwarding for my security system DVR.

I have gone through all the usual via advanced>virtual server>firewalls etc.  Set-up 3 rules and rebooted.  Rules saved but port checkers all report that these ports are closed.

This is not the first router that I have set-up port forwarding on but I am having no success at all.

Somewhere I read that this router and the HG533(?) are the only 2 routers that TT support for YouView.  Anyone know different?  I am prepared to invest in an alternative router as long as I still receive PlusTV from TT.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Ken

Super Contributor
Birchcroft
Founder

Re: D-Link DSL 3780 Port Forwarding

Hi & Welcome Rappy30,

You might find the following threads of interest:

http://talktalkmembers.com/t5/Unlimited-Broadband/dsl-3780-fibre-router-port-forwarding/td-p/912036

http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Unlimited-Broadband/DSL-3780-Router-and-Port-Forwarding/td-p/9158...

Well it would appear the success rate relating to port forwarding with the DSL 3780 is not high there is a post by OC_Nathan in both threads which describes what you need to do.

Hope this helps

New Contributor
rappy30

Thanks for that Birchcroft.

In the end I gave up and purchased a TP-Link TD-W8960N (£27).  Instant sucess.  Very user friendly.  Everything setup and working within 30 mins.  Highly recommended.  It has talktalk settings already built in.  Selected by drop-down menu.

Cheers

Ken

Occasional Contributor
whosfletchy

This router is probably the most difficult one I have tried to work with and completely understand why so many people have resorted to replacing it. I finally solved this after a number of days of effort trying to open up an svn server.

Follow these instructions originally posted by OCE_Nathan, the mistake I was making was the interface line. I was leaving it as WAN, but changing it to PVC1 fixed it immediately. You can replace the IP/port number with whatever ones you need.

"Log on to the router, go to advanced, then adanced again,

Click on Virtual servers

Tick to enable virtual server rules

Name: Enter what ever name you wish

Interface: PVC1

Internal IP: 192.168.1.2 (this is the IP address of the device you are forwarding to)

Internal startport: 80 

Internal endport: 80 

External startport:80 

External endport: 80

Protocol type: All

Time: Disable

Click add/apply"

I also have opened the ports in the firewall, this is labelled as applications (right underneath virtual server), and I have fixed the internal IP under LAN setup, but I'm not sure these steps are necessary. 

That's it working fine now.

Occasional Contributor
whosfletchy

I take back my previous post. WAN is what you want, but I missed an important step that I found on d-links own website that involves saving settings and reboot.

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/modems/dsl-modems/dsl-series/how-do-i-setup-port-forwarding-o...

Set up an internal static IP for your device.

Log on to the router, go to advanced, then adanced again,

Click on Virtual servers

Interface: WAN

Service #: 1

Internal IP: 192.168.1.2 (this is the IP address of the device you are forwarding to)

Click add/apply

Now the settings won't save until you go to system->save settings and reboot.

New Contributor
jml246

Hi,

I can confirm that on my D-Link DSL 3780, the router does open the ports, but for some reason, it does fail to redirect to the correct IP address internally.

I have no problems with a Linksys WAG320N router. The only problem I have is that for some reason, I get download speeds of around 20Mbps which my contract is around 75Mbps. I get around 60Mpbs with the D-Link router.

New Contributor
jml246

What download/upload speeds do you get on your TP-Link router?

Linksys WAG320N I get around 20Mbps up/down.

Occasional Contributor
london

whosfletchy wrote:

I take back my previous post. WAN is what you want, but I missed an important step that I found on d-links own website that involves saving settings and reboot.

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/modems/dsl-modems/dsl-series/how-do-i-setup-port-forwarding-o...

Set up an internal static IP for your device.

Log on to the router, go to advanced, then adanced again,

Click on Virtual servers

Interface: WAN

Service #: 1

Click add/apply

Now the settings won't save until you go to system->save settings and reboot.

I am confused.

Does it have to be Interface: WAN or Interface: PVC1