cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Can't access my Talktalk email

steveHG
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Hello

For the second time in recent weeks I have been locked out of email, demanding I put my password into my accounts. I duly did this only to be told that my password (which I am 100% certain was correct) was incorrect. The first time I was at least able to get a new password by using "forgot password" but this time today I can't even do that! I got a message saying they were currently having  technical issues but the problem now seems permanent. The same thing occurs on webmail and the Apple mail app on Mac and IoS, meaning I am completely locked out of my mail. The problem seems to have occurred after I was told to accept the recent "upgrade" to the email service (which looks identical to the old service as far as I can see. Grateful for any help as I think I'm going to have to leave this (paid for) email service. Steve

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

The TalkTalk Mail systems will monitor for suspicious activity and in exceptional cases would reset the password to protect a TalkTalk Mail user's mailbox.

At no time will TalkTalk ask you to Verify, Upgrade, Activate or any other similar words that lead you to being asked to enter your email password. So, never enter your email password on any website that's not the official TalkTalk secure sign in page that you'll find via the main TalkTalk website. If in doubt check the certificate via the padlock icon in the address bar. That certificate must be issued to TalkTalk Communications Limited.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 8

Many thanks for all your help Gondola. I've now signed into email on all my devices. Like the other person who experienced the same problem the invitation to "upgrade" was very convincing given that Talktalk actually were upgrading at the time ,and their systems have been (to put politely) a bit "different" to other mail systems. The main worry I have now is whether and when I will suddenly be told again that my password doesn't work. I don't know whether this is a) Talktalk picking up an attempt to tamper with my emails (fair enough I suppose) or b) a scammer trying to obtain my password by some devious means. Obviously it's a good thing to change passwords regularly, but not all the time!  Many thanks again. Steve 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

In theory there's nothing preventing a correctly set up iOS device that supports TLS 1.2 from connecting. However, Open Xchange, the TalkTalk Mail platform operator do now specify a minimum requirement of iOS 15 for full compatibility.

Let me know what iOS version your devices are running. Screenshot the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the camera icon (desktop browser) or picture icon (mobile browser) and I'll take a look for you.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

I can now get into webmail and my Nac mail  with my new password, but can't get into my IoS devices presumably because I signed out of all devices, as you suggested. Can you advise on how to sign into these again, or do I need to approach Apple? Thanks again. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

If you fall victim to a phishing scam it can happen to any mail service. If criminals discover your email address they will persistently target you so you need to be on guard at all times and keep your device security always up to date.

If you followed my instructions and found the Security option in the left pane and Signed out from all devices then your mailbox is on the new TalkTalk Mail platform.

Help with Phishing emails

Compromised or spoofed accounts

0 Likes

steveHG
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Thanks Gondola. Looks like this may have happened, and I also get odd emails from odd people! I checked security and removed all devices. I don't quite see why the scammer can keep immobilising my password even after I have changed it twice but I'll just have accept that I suppose. I can't actually tell if I've been migrated to the new look system, probably not as it looks much like the old. So this may have been my fault but why do I only seem to get problems like these with Talktalk but not other email systems? Many thanks again. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Hi steveHG 

Has your mailbox been migrated to the new look TalkTalk Mail platform?

Did you respond in any way, click on any link, submit your email password to verify or upgrade your account? If so you've given your password to a scammer.

TalkTalk will never ever ask you to refresh, authenticate, verify or upgrade your account details by sending you off to some amateur website.

As well as scanning all your devices for viruses, trojans or other malware you need to upgrade your password and check via the security option that there are no unauthorised devices signed in to your mailbox.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address, select Continue and enter the password, select Sign in.

Via the cog icon top right and the All settings menu item, select Security in the left pane and Check your devices. If there are unknown devices then Sign out from all devices and confirm. That's after upgrading the password and then making sure all unidentified devices are locked out.

Also check via Mail and scroll down to Rules to ensure There are no rules defined. Hackers will set up Auto forwards or other rules to spy on your mail messages. If there are any Rules then play safe and Delete them all.

The above guide assumes your mailbox has been migrated to the new look TalkTalk Mail platform that will happen automatically without you doing anything. If your mailbox still awaits migration and hasn't changed appearance then there are different instructions so let me know.