cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Correct e-mail settings for onetel accounts

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 71 of 71

Hello Gondola. I guess it is OK to but in on this topic now there are no more replies but I have a similar problem. Suddenly I can longer send emails using my onetel email address because I get messages saying that the SMTP server is unavailable (I wonder why) and I have had no notification from Talktalk that the email settings have changed. From what I have read above, my settings are correct. I am using Mac Mail. 

I am afraid I can get no sense using the Chat line and I am unable to contact Talktalk. I know it's a long shot but can you offer any ideas please? Regards. Brian.

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

Message 41 of 71

When Ady is next online, he was online just for this morning only, he'll pick up the onetel email address and check to see if it's been restricted and will advise if it has full access. If restricted he may request further details by PM and then authorise full access that will happen in the following 24 hours.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 42 of 71

Staff will follow up during the day, @brbrown

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 71

Sorry, should have said Ady not Day.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 71

What next Day?

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 71

Ady, there are still faults showing in Service Centre.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 46 of 71

Hello Ady. Done that.

Message 47 of 71

Hi brbrown, please add the onetel mail address to your community profile in the private notes section. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 48 of 71

Well I think it is a pretty poor show if they have because they have never notified me of any changes but I will wait to see if they do.

Message 49 of 71

If TalkTalk have withdrawn IMAP / POP3 connection to the onetel mailbox due to you using out of date legacy settings then neither software will verify. So, wait for TalkTalk to confirm the onetel mailbox status.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 50 of 71

OK "if they do". Incidentally with those settings, I was unable to verify the account in Mac Mail and Thunderbird and both In MacMail and Thunderbird, the SMTP server was showing as "off line".

Message 51 of 71

Now that you've got everything up to date and the troubleshooting is completed don't change anything and just wait for TalkTalk Support to pick up and respond.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 52 of 71

Yes, I have done all three operations but having changed the settings in Mac Mail my account is not verified and the same happens using Thunderbird.

0 Likes

Message 53 of 71

The server host names, ports and connection security settings are the same for all active TalkTalk Mail email accounts on the same device / email software. The only difference in those accounts is the email address and email password used to identify and authenticate each account.

In post 2 I gave you the link for the TalkTalk setup for MacMail.

In post 6 I asked you to check and upgrade the onetel password to meet current security compliance.

In post 6 and 15 I gave you the setup for Thunderbird for troubleshooting.

Please confirm you have followed ALL of my guidance in this topic fully and completely and then wait for TalkTalk Support to pick up this topic next week.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 54 of 71

I am afraid I get nothing from Talktalk and never had. I have had to find out changes to their system by the use of this forum for which I am grateful. Are you saying that I should replace my Onetel settings with the Talktalk settings you gave? In other words both accounts have the same settings.

0 Likes

Message 55 of 71

@brbrown wrote:...Those settings are the same as my settings for Talktalk emails. The ones I have for Onetel are different and have been the same for years.

Continuing to use out of date insecure legacy settings for onetel email accounts will, if it hasn't already, get your onetel mailbox access restricted to webmail only. You will have received email notifications from TalkTalk giving the secure settings to use and these are the same as for talktalk emails. 

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 71

Those settings are the same as my settings for Talktalk emails. The ones I have for Onetel are different and have been the same for years. I have tried again with Thunderbird and still get the same result with a message saying that the SMTP server is offline so nothing is going to change. Surely only Talktalk can make it live again and that will solve the problem.

0 Likes

Message 57 of 71

I appreciate it's not always intuitive setting up new software but Thunderbird does take you through a simple manual setup starting with your name, onetel email address and password and you then select to configure manually.

Thunderbird setup for onetelThunderbird setup for onetel

To compose a mail message just select the write tab with the pencil icon when the account is set up and confirmed as verified and working.

TalkTalk customer services / technical support don't generally offer help in setting up email software as there are just too many different software models and arrangements for different operating systems so they stick to helping with webmail only. That's why I'm here offering full email support.

If the account setup is as shown above and that's not working then your onetel mailbox may have been restricted to webmail only access. This is what we're trying to prove. So wait for next week for TalkTalk Support to pick up this topic. Put your onetel email address in your Community profile Private notes and TalkTalk Support will respond here first and then Community Personal Message you to get confirmatory details.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 58 of 71

I'm sorry GondolaI.  I have just spent an hour and a half trying to set up Thunderbird and it wouldn't accept any settings I put in even where I know they were correct and I could not find a Compose page to try to send an email but purely by accident I found it and tried to send a onetel email and it would not go because it came back with the same previous error that the SMTP server was offline. I found the set up pages so complicated with terminologies I was not familiar with so there is no point in me sending copies of the relevant pages. I am sorry but I think I will give up on trying to use onetel again regardles of the troubles it will give me. I may even move to another provider because I get no help from Talktalk. Thanks again though for your perseverance and patience. Best wishes.

Brian

0 Likes

Message 59 of 71

I'll assume that webmail is working as expected if there are no Filter rules of any type defined. i.e. when selecting Filter rules you see a screen that states there are no filter rules defined.

The next step is to prove that an email client other than MacMail is working for the onetel mailbox. So, download and set up Thunderbird on the Mac for the onetel mailbox settings as given to you by me in this topic.

There's no point in troubleshooting the Mac if the mailbox has been limited to webmail only access.

Tell me when you've set up and tested Thunderbird.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 60 of 71

There are no Auto Forward Rules showing and I notice after quite a long time a test onetel email I sent to myself came back but it will not come back in my Mac Mail.

0 Likes