cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to access emails via Outlook - encryption issues?

Old-luddite-63
First Timer
Private Message
Private Message

Message 7 of 7

I have the same problem as Scream.

My last received email was 13/6/23 so looks like my outlook stopped after whatever update Talk Talk did.

This has happened a few times but it has always come back.

I from reading through the posts it looks like i have the same setup as Scream and like they have said using web mail is not much of an option.

I suspect we are not the only two with this issue so therefore are Talk Talk going to sort some fix out to give us our Outlook back as it has done in the past? 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Old-luddite-63 wrote: ...Outlook 2016 will work with my version of windows.Will that suffice or will i also need to upgrade to a newer version of windows as well?

Heads up that TalkTalk Mail alongside comparable mail services requires an encrypted connection to the mailbox secured by TLS 1.2.  This is the minimum required security. Unfortunately, Windows 7 by default does not have the required TLS 1.2 ciphers. So although Outlook 2016 may well run the connection may still not be up to the required standard.

For this reason I recommended Thunderbird from Mozilla because the Thunderbird email product out of the box contains its own cipher suite for TLS 1.2 and is not then reliant on Windows 7 to be compatible with TLS 1.2 connection security.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

How much time and money do you want to spend? Windows 7, probably the best version ever, is obsolete and considered insecure. Here's Microsofts position: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7... Your computer will probably be up to running Windows 10 and it's alleged (although I've not tried it lately) that a Win7 serial number will validate a Win10 install. Installing Win10 will give you the truly horrid mail client that comes built-in which will access TalkTalk email.

Very little modern software will run under Win7 althought the latest Mozilla Thunderbird, released today, does (see https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/releasenotes/ ) You can download it from the link in this article https://www.howtogeek.com/903806/mozilla-thunderbird-115-arrives-today-and-it-looks-great/

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Thanks.

I have looked and outlook 2016 will work with my version of windows.

Will that suffice or will i also need to upgrade to a newer version of windows as well?

As you have probably gathered not too tech savvy!!!

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Unfortunately even the best of the best at TalkTalk cannot override the policy to support only secure email.

The options for you are to use webmail and or a product like Thunderbird that still offers support on Windows 7 for secure mail encryption as required by TalkTalk Mail. We'll step over the fact that Windows 7 is now also a deprecated product as defined by its supplier Microsoft and their recommendation is to upgrade the Operating System, if that's possible (not possible on all Windows 7 devices), to Windows 10 or 11.  

0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

Hi 

I am using windows 7 Home Premium and Outlook 2010 which i understand is outdated and depreciated, not unlike myself, but its still functional and was still serving my needs perfectly until 14th of June.

I am picking up my mail on web mail but its nowhere near as user friendly as outlook.

Surely the boffins at Talk Talk can fix something up?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

If by the same issue, you mean trying to continue the use of an outdated and deprecated email software product that's no longer supported by Microsoft or TalkTalk Mail then it's time to go for a secure update.  What version of Outlook are you using and on what Operating System (OS).

Sign in just to TalkTalk Mail webmail for the time being until you make a choice of new software.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

The upgrade path is to Windows Mail on Windows 10 or 11 or Outlook 2016 - Outlook 365 or Mozilla Thunderbird that still offers support for Windows 7 and later OS. 

Let me know if you need guidance on the upgrade.

0 Likes