cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Webmail address not verified

lvgooner
Participant
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

I recently became a Fibre customer in Feb, but previously had 2 webmail addresses that I have used for well over 10 years without a problem. In February, the webmail address which is my main email for everything stopped working on my Android phone although it is still usable through the website.
I have spent literally hours on the phone and live chat going through the same motions trying to solve this and they drew the conclusion that it was a problem with both my husband's and my Samsung phone(!).
Cue a lengthy live chat and phone calls with Samsung who did a full reset on my phone and still no luck. Samsung said it must be to do with Talktalk settings.
I used a completely different phone and no success. I tried a different app, no success. I tried my other webmail address - this worked! I tried again with the original webmail - did not work. Always the same message "the username or password is incorrect or IMAP access isn't turned on for this account"
On Sunday, I had another hour long livechat where I explained everything again and the agent asked me to leave the server security type as None. This gave me a different message - and the agent told me that this is because the webmail address needs to be verified and he will work with the Talktalk team to get my email address verified as soon as possible.
It is now Thursday and I am still getting the message that "the email server ("mail.talktalk.net") is not responding"
This is driving me insane. I do not understand how one webmail address (typically the one that is used for doctors/schools etc) will not work and the other is fine. Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 7

Thanks for confirming the security information. I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

I'm afraid my colleague isn't helping you. What the status of the account is doesn't have any bearing on billing surpression, if it did you wouldn't be able to use non TalkTalk mailboxes as your billing address and millions do. Incidentally its me who will be adding the mailbox to your account if its an orphaned account. If you'd like it adding I can do that today for you. We just need to confirm the security information. I've sent you a personal message.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Thanks Ady, but this makes me feel worse.  I am a full fibre customer so neither of my accounts should be limited.  I had another 2 ½ live chat session on Friday with one of your colleagues who talked me through the settings and the issues I had.  Finally, they said it was an orphaned account and they were going to escalate the issue.   It is now Monday and nothing has changed.  How long should escalations take?  

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

None is not the correct setting. My colleagues have misadvised you. 

The only correct settings are in the Email Settings Help Article. 1 account working on your phone doesn't necessarily mean that the settings are correct it may just mean we haven't limited that mailbox yet. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

HI Ady, thanks for replying.  I have confirmed all of the information above.  I have 2 webmail addresses. One works on my phone so the security settings are not an issue.  When I enter the server settings, for the first email address I get the message that it cannot connect my email address.  On the last call, I was advised to leave the incoming mail setting as "none" rather than TLS or SSL and this is where it told me my account was not verified.  I don't understand how one webmail account is fine and the other isn't.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Hi Ivgooner, you'll have received mails from us advising that you have to change the mail settings to use the secure ones we are now enforcing. This means your mail box has been limited to use webmail only. You need to confirm that you're using mail clients that support TLS1.2 encryption and that you're using the secure settings we've advised you of. Once you've done that I can get your mailbox restored to full function again. 

Email Settings Help Article.

Ady

0 Likes