cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Cannot lock WiFi 5ghz channels on router, keeps reverting to lowest channels

coloneluk
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I have found that on channel 60 I get the full speed I am paying for.  I therefore set this manually within the router software.  Unfortunately, everytime I relog onto my computer the 5Ghz channel has reverted back to 36, 40, 44, 48 and the wifi speed is approximately half.  I assume this is because my analyser shows everyone around here is on those channels.   Why when I manually select channel 60 will it not stay locked on this.

Some time ago I was told there was something called WiFi "Optimisation" that sought out the best available channels.  This obviously isn't working and I have asked for the "Optimisation" to be turned off, but am getting no response.

Any help would be appreciated to allow me to obtain the speeds I am paying for.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 14

Hi coloneluk

Apologies for this.

We are no longer able to switch off WIFI optimisation.

Have you tried rebooting the router when you experience the drop in speed?

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 14

Off course.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 14

Yes, I agree as I was one of the first to prove it.

Can we now leave this between the OP and TalkTalk?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 14

It has been proved that the channel allocation within 'WIFI optimization' does not work, because it forces everything to 36-48. And  even though 1 minute is very long in networking terms, it nothing in human terms.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 14

This all depends on the algorithm used for channel allocation in this case. Do not forget that a one-minute loss of service is, in IP networking terms, a very long time indeed, when 36 to 48 has no such delays.

I have already escalated this to TalkTalk for the OP, any further posts in this thread will delay that response.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 14

That makes a bit more sense. But since the router knows that 120-128, would take at least 10 minutes, it would not try that in the first instance, it might just try 52-120 only.

But the overriding issue is that TalkTalk seems to be insisting that 'WIFI optimisation' be turned on again, or now not allowing it to be disabled, in the first place.

Bill

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 14

The DFS channel range is far from new @Billx.

I too can use DFS without an issue, it all depends on the geographic area within the UK that the router is used in. Not all devices can use the DFS channels though, because some cheaper wireless network adapters do not have the electronics in them to support DFS/TPC. Therefore the most compatible channel range is the Band A UNII-1 Lower (36 – 48) range.

I said in my posts in this thread that it is WiFi Optimisation that is restricting the Sagemcom from using these channels. With it disabled, DFS channels can be used as required. The Eero originally did not allow use of the DFS channels at all, this came in on a later firmware release. If a DFS channel detects the higher priority service, then the router must move off this channel immediately. If it were to then select another DFS channel to use, there would be a break in service for 1 minute, whilst the new DFS channel is monitored for the higher priority service. If channels 120 – 128 were selected by the router, this time increases to 10 minutes! This is the most likely reason for moving them to 36 - 48.

Keith

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 14

The whole point of using a newer router and possibly a WIFI analyser, @KeithFrench , is so that one can use channels 52 to 140, and not be bunched up in 36 to 48'. I believe Eero allows this. So do many newly provided routers from other providers. They allow channels 52 to 140. If TalkTalk is going to excuse themselves by saying there are DFS channels there, whatever DFS channels are, and that they will release 'WIFI optimization' to bring the higher-numbered channels back to 36-48, that doesn't make any sense at all. If DFS channels are in the way, perhaps they can be removed. If DFS channels operate for a few minutes at a time, then that does not matter, the routers can continue after the little break, at the set higher-numbered channels. I've been operating at higher-numbered channels for quite a while now with absolutely no problems with DFS. I don't know why TalkTalk thinks there will be problems.

Bill

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 14

WiFi optimisation is applied to the router, not the line. So unless you had previously requested it on this router, it will still be enabled.

If you still have the old (I am guessing Sagemcom 5364) & do not use Digital Voice, then you can go back to that one if you wish.

TalkTalk will hopefully come back to you on Monday.

Keith

coloneluk
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 14

Sorry Keith, I wasn't having a dig at you.

I know you were only explaining the situation, but prior to the new router sent with full fibre contract I had no issues with my wifi speed.

As far as I know, I was told that I had Optimisation turned off and was happy with my speeds.

I feel I had the full fibre forced on me because they stated my contract wouldn't be renewed on the old system.

Thanks again for your timely reply.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 14

Nothing in my post was meant to be any solution, I was merely pointing out the potential issues.

You cannot detect the presence of these higher-priority services with a WiFi analyser. This is because they are not 802.11 signals at all.

I stated what I understand is TalkTalk's position on WiFi Optimisation in so much as they are no longer allowed to disable it, but I also escalated it to them so that they can explain this to you.

Keith

0 Likes

coloneluk
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Thanks for your reply, even though not a satisfactory solution.

I understand the DFS restrictions, but my wifi analyser shows nothing above 52 in my country village location.

Channel 52-64? set in software as 60 works perfectly allowing good connection speeds, but on the lower channels I am often relegated to speeds of 10-15ghz whereas on 60 a repeatable 35-50ghz is achievable.

I was told that my previous router had had the optimisation turned off and I was happy with my speeds.

I was promised a better service by going to Full Fibre, but speeds have proved not to be any better, infact worse on 5Ghz.

I an just getting fed up with having to manually set channel 60 every time I log on to achieve the expected speeds.

Thanks for your input.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

You presumably have the Sagemcom WiFi Hub 5364 or 5464, as these are the only routers that work with Wi-Fi Optimisation. Certainly disabling Wi-Fi optimisation will solve this. Channel 60 is a DFS channel which means other geographic services have priority over WiFi in this frequency band. If these higher-priority services are in use in your area, the router must move you off of this channel immediately, which is nothing to do with WiFi optimisation.

Therefore this could be happening as a result of DFS restrictions which affect channels 52 to 140, or as you say, it could also be WiFi optimisation doing this. The only way to be certain which of the two it is, once again, is to disable WiFi optimisation.

I have been campaigning that the use of the DFS channels should be part of this facility's algorithm.

However, despite the fact that the TalkTalk support staff on here are totally capable of disabling it for you, they are currently not allowed to.

Therefore I will get one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and explain this more for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith