Occasional Contributor
AndyMac

Superfast broadband speed isn't super fast?

I have had 38mbps Talktalk broadband for about 4 weeks. The initial speed at installation was 26mbps. The BT Openreach chap who installed remarked that was pretty good as an initial speed and it should climb up to the high 30s over the next few weeks.

It is now.....26mbps.

My phone line connects directly to the openreach modem. I don't have a telephone plugged in at all in normal use. The modem connects to the Talk Talk router, and that connects to a powerline adaptor that distributes the signal around the house.

wired over powerline speed is 26mbps. Wireless, standing next to the router is 24-26mbps.

Is this all I should expect? Is this normal? I know the pie in the sky 38mbps is unlikely, but I'm 12mbps short of advertised speeds!
Upload holds at 1.8mbps.

Any advice gladly received.
Super Contributor
Biohead

Re: Superfast broadband speed isn't super fast?

What speed are you estimated if you enter your address details here: BT DSL Checker
Your line speed is dependant upon your distance from your cabinet when on FTTC (Fibre). If it's over 150m or so, then you'll start seeing a slowdown from the 38mbps (it is only advertised as upto 38mb). What speed did talktalk estimate when you signed up?
Funny your engineer said your speeds would improve, as Fibre starts off at full speed, then adjusts DOWNWARDS for best stability.
Occasional Contributor
AndyMac

Re: Superfast broadband speed isn't super fast?

Originally Posted by Biohead
What speed are you estimated if you enter your address details here: BT DSL Checker

Your line speed is dependant upon your distance from your cabinet when on FTTC (Fibre). If it's over 150m or so, then you'll start seeing a slowdown from the 38mbps (it is only advertised as upto 38mb). What speed did talktalk estimate when you signed up?

Funny your engineer said your speeds would improve, as Fibre starts off at full speed, then adjusts DOWNWARDS for best stability.

BT estimate is 54.2mbps.

Talktalk India said 40mbps.

It is stable and works fine. It's maybe 400-500 metres to the box along the road. It's quite a way.

Just tried talk talk speed checker. Says 33mbps. Speediest.net says 25 and another one said 26.