Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged £65 Engineer Visit charge when Engineer diagnosed fault was with Talktalk Router

Surveybob
Team Player
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

A few weeks ago we began to have problems with our Fibre broadband (Fibre to the cabinet). The fibre speed became unstable, slowing down considerably to around 1Mbps and sometimes losing service completely.

I ran checks through the Talktalk service centre portal which identified that there was a problem and this led to me being asked to contact Talktalk via chat, which I did. Talktalk conducted more tests and said an Engineer visit was needed and one was booked.

I have to say that the Openreach Engineer who visited was first class. 

The router is connected directly into the main Master Socket. 

The Engineer ran lots of tests and diagnosed that the fault lay with the Talktalk supplied router.

He said he would make arrangements for a replacement to be sent and that these typically arrive in a couple of days. 

The Engineer even left his card, showing his name and contact number, saying we can call him if we have any problems or need any more technical help.

Sure enough, the replacement Talktalk router arrived two days later. I plugged it in and configured the WiFi station id and password to ensure seamless connectivity was maintained across all connected devices and happy to report that the speeds are back to what they were before.

The issue now is that we have just received our latest bill and it includes a £65 Engineer charge.

A link on the online bill to view more details takes us to a generic page.

The section dealing with Openreach Visit says:-

"WHY HAVE I BEEN CHARGED?

We'll charge you if the Openreach engineer was unable to find a fault with your service or the fault was found to be related to a condition in your property or garden. Any faults related to your main phone socket may also incur a charge, as will issues caused by any personal devices connected to your line. You won’t be charged for faults caused by Openreach equipment."

None of these conditions apply to my case.

Taking this section by section:-

"We'll charge you if the Openreach engineer was unable to find a fault with your service" - He did find a fault with the service - it was with the Talktalk supplied router which he arranged to have replaced by Talktalk and which duly arrived two days later.

"or the fault was found to be related to a condition in your property or garden." - No fault found with property or garden - the fault was with the Talktalk supplied router, which Talktalk themselves replaced.

"Any faults related to your main phone socket may also incur a charge, as will issues caused by any personal devices connected to your line." - No issues were found with the main phone socket, nor were there any issues caused by any personal devices connected to our line. - this issue was with the Talktalk router.

"You won’t be charged for faults caused by Openreach equipment." - but I am being charged for faults caused by Talktalk equipment.

Obviously, for the reasons given above,  I disagree with the charge being added to our bill.

Can someone at Talktalk please look into this for me so that it can be resolved without having to go through the complaints route? 

Thanks in anticipation.

5 REPLIES 5

martswain
Philosopher
Message 1 of 6

@kiqbal04  please start your own topic with full details about what has happened and also complete your profile with your name and TT landline number,

This is @Surveybob 's topic and @Arne-TalkTalk will only reply to them, tagging Arne will only result in the same answer I have given you above.

0 Likes

kiqbal04
First Timer
Message 2 of 6

Hi @Arne-TalkTalk I'm having the same problem, I've been incorrectly charged £65. Please help.

0 Likes

Surveybob
Team Player
Message 3 of 6

Just so that community are aware, I've received this reply via private mail from Talktalk.

"Hi 

Thank you for passing security. 

I have reviewed the fault report which does indeed place the cause on the TT router, the faults team should have diagnosed this before booking an engineer, so I will feed that back.   As a result of poor diagnostics the charge has been cleared. 

If you check the transaction history you will see the credit raised, in the event that the direct debit has already been requested you will be able to request a refund via My Account. 

Regards"

Looking back at other posts, this is not the first time this has happened.

Surveybob
Team Player
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

I've completed the details as requested and received a response saying 

"Secure Verification
Thanks, we'll get back to you soon."

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Surveybob

I can help with this I first need to confirm some security questions 

I have sent you a PM on the community

Regards

0 Likes