Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can't connect to internet from upstairs or outside

6 REPLIES
mooglemoogs
First Timer

Why can't we connect to our internet from upstairs or outside?? We have had this issue since we switched to talk talk some 5 months ago. We are eating up data on our mobile phones and tablets!!!! I only live in a 3 bed semi! I have tried all remedies but nothing works,,, can literally only be on Wi Fi in the room that the router is in :(

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

Presumably, you did not have a Wi-Fi problem with your previous Internet Service Provider @mooglemoogs, so what has changed, a different Router maybe, or possibly the router location?

mooglemoogs
First Timer

I’m using the router provided by talk talk and it’s in the same place as my old one 

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

Have you tried / can you try, going back to the 'old' router @mooglemoogs?

mooglemoogs
First Timer

I threw it away 😞 I have asked talk talk to check my line but apparently it’s fine 

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

But the 'old' router provided you with an acceptable Wi-Fi performance, presumably @mooglemoogs?

Community Team

Hi mooglemoogs

Log into the router and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  

Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

There are apps you can download that can show the wireless channels in use.  For example I use WiFi analyser for Android to show the wifi channels in use around me and this allows me to set the least congested channel.

Give this a try and see if the wifi connection improves.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Make Broadband Better - Join The Sam Knows Trial