cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not all formatting tools available

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 49 of 49

When accessing the forum from my phone (Brave browser on Android 10)  and making a post not all the formatting options are available.   As can be seen from the screen shot below there is only row of options:

Screenshot_20210702-200052.png

 I am reasonably sure a second row appears briefly but disappears under the edit window.

0 Likes
48 REPLIES 48

Message 21 of 49

@StephenF wrote:

Hi Birchcroft  this is apart of the automatic anti clutter editor, essentially the smaller your screen the less you'll see, not too dissimilar to the old site which did something similar 

Seriously Community Manager StephenF ~  the Toolbar, which is by default displayed on two lines effectively, is reduced in content, and still displayed on two lines, and, the vertical space between those two lines is increased!

So, Quote: ' ....... essentially the smaller your screen the less you'll see ........ ' is clearly NOT regarded as an issue!

~R.

Message 22 of 49

Hey @Birchcroft  in some your logged in and in others your not, this is the source of that inconsistency as the default editor that everyone sees is a basic one. 

Stephen, Community Manager

Message 23 of 49

@TheHornedOneI'm begining to think you may be getting a peverse pleasure from pointing out what appears to be the endless variations in the way icons are displayed/not-displayed😁😁😁  I might as well but I think it may be begining to fry my brain.

I do indeed have access to a PC,  rather than a MAC.  The answer to your question of what I see depends on how I look, and while looking I discovered a few more quirks,  I'm beginning wish I was still working on embedded or bespoke systems as they are much less hassle😁

If I use Edge, which I don't usually do, then I see:

IntialScreenEdge2.jpg

However if I use FireFox I see:

ExpandedScreenFF.jpg

Not only do I notice the different captions on the Camera Icon but also as with your screen shot the Video Icon is absent as in Edge.

If I want the 2 rows of icons as shown in your screenshot I have to click on the three dots ("Expand toolbar") to see them, once this is done there appears to be no way to colapse the toolbar again.

If that is not strange enough for you then shrinking the browser window just adds to the anomalies.  If I shrink the window without first expanding the toolbar to 2 rows I get a new "Undo" Icon appear:

Shrunkunexpandedff.jpg

If however I expand the toolbar to 2 rows before shrinking the window I get:

ShrunkScreenEdge2.jpg

So basically yet more inconsistancies.  Not really a good advert for the firm developing the site.

@StephenFWhile I can appreciate the need to de-clutter smaller screens it would be nice if there was some consistancy in the displays across platforms and as I have mentioned previously rather than removing the options it would be better if they were placed in a dropdown or at least do as you do on the PC and have an expand toolbar option.

StephenF
Community Manager
Message 24 of 49

Hi @Birchcroft  this is apart of the automatic anti clutter editor, essentially the smaller your screen the less you'll see, not too dissimilar to the old site which did something similar 

Stephen, Community Manager
0 Likes

Message 25 of 49

All of the screenshots I posted are ex tablet @Birchcroft: Amazon Fire / Samsung Galaxy / Apple iPad - although not necessarily in that order - and notwithstanding the one exception as stated previously, using a version of the Firefox browser.

The iPad is the easiest to use for a number of reasons, including it's superior speed, but all posts here were compiled using an iMac 21.5

~R.

PS ~ Here is another interesting little icon conundrum.  If you have access to what Community Star Gondola quaintly refers to as a PC, what do you see when you hover here ............

Icon Conundrum.png

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 26 of 49

@TheHornedOne certainly quite a few interesting differences and I notice that it is only the 2nd dump that does not have the picture and video insert icons.  Does that mean the top/1st is a screenshot from a tablet?   Given the differences I would be tempted to think that the screenshots come from 3 different developments rather than a single system adapting to different displays☹️

0 Likes

Message 27 of 49

By 'eck, you are not wrong @Birchcroft ........................... and it doesn't end there either, check-out the list option differences!

Menu Anomolies.png

With the 'Insert Photos' option non existent - as you advise - it is little wonder posters have a problem embedding a graphic!  Additionally, in the bottom [mobile device] portrait option display, the two rows in the toolbar are further apart, which is exactly what is NOT wanted, working in an already limited space!

What next I wonder!

~R.

Message 28 of 49

@TheHornedOne I have now also tried the Opera and Kiwi Browsers on the Huawei T5 and can still only access the mobile version of the site (landscape and portrate modes) so I guess it's screen must be just below the desktop threshold.

Another thing I've just noticed is that based on your screen shots the desktop editor does not include the picture and video options that are available on the mobile site. 

Message 29 of 49

@TheHornedOne wrote:

PS ~ I am working on the Firefox anomaly!

Amazon Fire / Android 5.1.1 / Firefox Mobile 89 ~ I am pretty sure that the delays I am experiencing with this application @Birchcroft, are down to synchronisation; it takes forever to complete, but the reduced toolbar in portrait mode still exists anyway!

Screenshot Firefox #2 2021-07-06-14-05-47.png

~R.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 49

I have now checked-out the Amazon Fire HD 10 ~ 10.10in / Amazon Fire OS @Birchcroft.

I [re]installed the Firefox Browser application - to unsure that it was up to date, in all respects - but the TalkTalk Community website would not stabilise, so I used Silk.   Same result .........

Screenshot_2021-07-05-15-56-56.png

........... I.E. okay in landscape only, so I guess that moves the size range to above 10.10 in - Getting rid of that stupid great, unnecessary Reply duplicate banner would be good!

~R.

PS ~ I am working on the Firefox anomaly!

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 31 of 49

@TheHornedOne I have tried Brave, Chrome, DuckDuckGo, and Firefox on my Motorola G7 but based on what Gondola has said it is not surprising that they all show the "mobile" site, even when the use Desktop option is selected.  I've also tried Chrome and Firefox on a Huawei MediaPad T5 which has a 10.1" screen (the old way😁) with a resolution of 1920 X 1200 which still displays the "mobile" site so I guess the changeover between mobile and desktop must occur somewhere between 10.1" and 10.4".

0 Likes

Message 32 of 49

@Birchcroft wrote:

TheHornedOne  Given that the format used depends on screen size then you are running your Android/Firefox combination on a "large" screen device such as a Chrome Book rather than a phone or 10.5" Tablet, is this correct?

On the assumption that you are referencing measurements 'the old way' Birchcroft, 10.40in [Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite] so I guess the answer to your question is no!

I do take your point about generating, and formatting, a post in landscape though, 'cause that is a serious fail, but something which has come to my attention, is that by comparison, the Firefox browser displays noticeably larger than others ..................

Screenshot_20210703-231225_One UI Home.jpg

........ leaving less room to work in.  Have you tried other browser[s]?

~R.

PS ~ More specific views on formatting options later!

0 Likes

Message 33 of 49

The banner Reply button is active in Linear format only. In Linear format there was no ability to reply to or quote from individual posts but that omission has been overcome by adding an individual reply icon to each post. The issue of the banner Reply button taking up space and not being suppressed when the editor is active is on the bug fix list. 

The new Khoros software offers Threaded and Linear formats to suit individual preferences. The transfer from the previous hybrid format is challenging. Improvements as you can see have already been made. 

Thank you for your help. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 34 of 49

@Gondolaanother suggestion, as I believe has been made before, is to get rid of the big reply banner.  Particularly when in one is already typing a reply such as now, athough interestingly it does not show up on screen shots.

@TheHornedOne  Given that the format used depends on screen size then you are running your Android/Firefox combination on a "large" screen device such as a Chrome Book rather than a phone or 10.5" Tablet, is this correct?

509.4 KB of 1.48 MB

0 Likes

Message 35 of 49

The mobile mode is triggered on the display viewport size.

As member csquared2 said, as you reduce the display size on a PC you'll see the format change from desktop mode to mobile mode. It's obvious from the TalkTalk header which mode is being displayed. The mobile header has the triple line designer burger with the filling spilling on the top left.

So even if you select the desktop browser version on your mobile you'll still be in mobile mode because the display viewport hasn't changed. 

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 36 of 49

@Gondola said:

What would be helpful to push this discussion forward is to know what are the must have editor toolbar icons and functions. 

Obviously the answer to that question is subjective.  But from my point of view as a start I would go for:

• Numbered lists
  • Hyperlinks
  • Quotes
  • Text, Picture file uploads
  • Text formatting: Indentation; Bold; Italic; Colour.

@Gondola can you explain why @TheHornedOne  gets a different/fuller set of formatting tools (Message 7) to me when using the same version of Firefox on Android?

0 Likes

Message 37 of 49

'Birchcroft' wrote:...why they choose to remove options in the mobile version rather than, say, move them to a drop-down.

Community is running a new version of software provided by and hosted by Khoros. The functional design is by Khoros with a skin developed by TalkTalk to match its new look website design brief.

So there are two aspects that TalkTalk are dealing with. Getting to grips with the newly released software and making that work with the new look website design.

The limited set of editor toolbar icons and functions when the display drops into mobile mode is similar for other organisations running the previous versions of Khoros Community software.  So 'they' that you refer to is Khoros and to get functional changes may depend on Khoros.

What would be helpful to push this discussion forward is to know what are the must have editor toolbar icons and functions. You've mentioned having a drop down menu for selection of editor toolbar options. Any other suggestions / ideas?

0 Likes

Message 38 of 49

Strange I've tried it with the same version of Firefox on a phone and tablet, both Android, and what I observe is that the full set of icons appear briefly and then disappear leaving the reduced set as in my screen dump.  I've even tried selecting the desktop option.  So given your experience and @Gondola's comments I am having difficulty (1) why it should work for you but not others. (2) why they choose to remove options in the mobile version rather than, say, move them to a drop-down.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 49

@Birchcroft wrote:

Which browser are you using?

Mozilla Firefox [mob. app.] v89.1.1

~R.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 49

Hi csquared2 

There are two modes, desktop and mobile. When the display width is reduced the content is formatted for mobile. 

In mobile mode there are a reduced set of editor icons, by design. 

Well done for spotting that the artifacts are the top of the PREVIEW text link. 

I'm awaiting a response from TalkTalk on being able to execute a preview function in mobile mode. This along with other questions like being able to access HTML and quotes in mobile mode. 

0 Likes