email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing @tiscali.co.uk email using Windows 10 Mail client

Geoff01562
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 8

I am trying to help a blind client for the RNIB, who has broadband with TalkTalk and an old, working, tiscali.co.uk email account.

She can access her email using the TalkTalk webmail App on Edge or Chrome, but the interface is too confusing for her visually, she would much prefer to use the Windows 10 Mail App (or any other desktop email client like Mozilla Thunderbird), but we have spent over 4 hours trying to configure a number of clients, both on her Laptop, and on one of my PC's, without any success - her login credentials are always rejected as soon as the program attempts to collect her mail.

The Username and password are definitely correct, as they work on webmail, but no matter what combination of ports, security etc. settings we apply for the mail.talktalk.net and smtp.talktalk.net, none work.

As a start, could someone please specify which settings should go in which boxes for the current Windows 10 Mail program Account configuration for a tiscali.co.uk email address?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Excellent Geoff.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Your friend will be most grateful for your help. Thank you.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Geoff01562
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 8

Thanks, just come off the phone from her, and Windows Mail is now happily connecting to the tiscali.co.uk email address after adding it to their address list in MyAccount.

Your help was very much appreciated.

Geoff

Message 3 of 8

Hi Geoff01562 

To guide you, here's a screenshot of what the customer should see when signed in to MyAccount, selecting My Services from the toolbar and selecting Manage TalkTalk Mail to see the My Mailboxes list. 5 mailboxes are allowed. If the tiscali email address is not listed then she should select the Add an existing mailbox link that's below the My Mailboxes list. Just needs the email address and password, select Add and there should be a green banner confirmation and the address should appear in the list.

Manage TalkTalk Mail Feb2021.png

If there's any problems it'll likely be due to the password not meeting the current requirements so make sure password recovery is set up, change the password and if needed go back to add the email address in MyAccount.

Message 4 of 8

If she needs more help let us know. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 8

Many thanks for the swift response Gondola,

Have checked your Windows 10 Mail settings against the ones we tried, and they do match - so it looks like it is the "Orphaned Account" problem.

I'm due to call her again on Friday, so will go through the My Account steps to connect it to their TalkTalk account.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 8

Hi Geoff01562, as Gondola says it's important to make sure that the email is linked to the MyAccount so as not to be restricted to webmail use only. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi Geoff01562 

Your friend must first make sure that the tiscali email address is listed in her TalkTalk customer MyAccount.  TalkTalk Mail addresses not added to an active TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount (orphan addresses), are being limited to Internet browser webmail access and flagged for deletion if no action is taken.

Email not showing in My Account

Is the mailbox password strong enough?

Before the mailbox authentication detects a weak password and declines to connect to your mailbox and forces a password change please take time to upgrade the password.

Hopefully she'll have pre-registered for password recovery an alternate email address and mobile number. Either can be selected in the password reset process to receive an emailed link or a 6 digit code by mobile text message to authenticate a password change. It's worth checking these Reset details are present and correct before opting to change the password. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset your password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and can save the login for you.

You asked for confirmation of the Windows Mail settings:

Windows Mail server settings talktalk.net

If you need settings for Thunderbird as well, just let me know.