email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not working

nigelnw
Team Player
Message 17 of 17

I've not received any emails since Monday evening either via outlook on PC,  using webmail direct or via my phone. Can't find anything on website which indicates there's a problem. Any ideas?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi nigelnw, apologies for the delay in getting to you. I've sent you a personal message to get more information.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

nigelnw
Team Player
Message 2 of 17

Been told this before when I spoke to them. 6 days later still not been sorted.🤔 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Ok, so the hacker has now changed your password recovery options and changed the password to lock you out.

The way to recover from this is to let TalkTalk Support, here, verify you as the registered email user and then set up new password recovery reset details - you'll need to provide a new working email address and mobile 'phone number. Then you'll be able to set a new password and regain access to the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in. 

When you do, delete all filter rules and check the Address Book for rogue email addresses if you have any stored. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

nigelnw
Team Player
Message 4 of 17

That was a few days ago. As I posted tonight, my email account is dead. I think I will just have to wait until tomorrow and telephone again. I just hope I don't get the same woman who told me to go to the police!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

nigelnw wrote:  I do not have access to my email account. It was hacked. It does not work. It's dead!

When I asked you to check via TalkTalk Mail webmail you responded:

nigelnw wrote:...I have checked webmail and no forward instructions are set. It is allowing me to send but nothing is being received. 

We are trying to help you here. If you're not telling us what is really happening you're not helping yourself.

So, starting again.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

Do you get signed in and if not what do you see?

nigelnw
Team Player
Message 6 of 17

I do not have access to my email account. It was hacked. It does not work. It's dead! 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi nigelnw 

nigelnw wrote:... My email account was hacked and my back up email address held at talktalk  was also changed by the hacker.

To follow up on the matter of your backup email address - If you mean your password recovery alternate email address then reset that via the TalkTalk Mail sign in.

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset your password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and can save the login for you.

Use  TalkTalk Online Defence (SuperSafe) to keep your security strong and, as part of TalkTalk's security, is a  Password Manager that is useful for generating unique passwords, keeping those passwords secure, ready for your login.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi nigelnw 

It's likely that your mailbox password has been compromised (you mentioned hacked) and that an unauthorised auto forward or other filter rule has been set up to divert your mail messages.

So, the first thing is to scan your devices to remove any password loggers left by viruses, trojans or other malware.

Then prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile, Personal Information (here):

• Your name, current home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the impacted email address, notes and references etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Then select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, any auto forward or other filter rule or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account or mail collection service, like Gmail, may be deleting messages from the online Inbox.

We ask you to reply here in Community.

0 Likes

nigelnw
Team Player
Message 9 of 17

Almost 6 days and I still have no access to emails. My email account was hacked and my back up email address held at talktalk  was also changed by the hacker. Can someone please advise? I keep being told different things by different customer services advisors. I was told I would receive a link to my alternative email twice. Nothing received. I was told I would receive a text. Nothing received. I was even advised to contact the police! I was originally told on Wednesday that it would be sorted within 3 days. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

When did you last reset your password?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

nigelnw
Team Player
Message 11 of 17

I can only see your response via this page. No emails have been received since Friday evening. I have checked nor any auto forwarding via webmail and nothing is in place. Still not able to receive anything via outlook, phone or webmail.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

In that case that email has received mail today as I posted earlier. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

What filter rules are set?

0 Likes

nigelnw
Team Player
Message 14 of 17

Yes. It's the only email address I use. I have checked webmail and no forward instructions are set. It is allowing me to send but nothing is being received. 

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 17

Hi nigelnw, is the mailbox affected the one linked to your community profile? 

Ady

Gondola
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi nigelnw 

If you can sign in to webmail then check there is no auto forward, other filter rule or mail collection that might be diverting your mail. 

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile, Personal Information (here):

• Your name, current home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account or mail collection service, like Gmail, may be deleting messages from the online Inbox.

If using email software or mobile email apps, check for software updates and if the email account is set for IMAP or POP3.

If there's any evidence of your password being discovered then scan your email devices to remove potential password loggers and upgrade the password.

The Reset your password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Let us know what you find.